My 40 breeder build, need help (light, can i drill a 40 breeder?)

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
so heres my current build. i traded for it on craigslist. right now i have 2 hang on back filters. id like to drill a 40 breeder (pet co is having a 1$ a gallon sale soon from what i hear) so i plan to buy one to drill it and make a sump and refugium to get rid of the hang on back filters. id like a center overflow, can i get a center overflow kit or can you only get the box over flow kits?

also the tank has a 48 inch light on it now (no idea why the guy had a 48 inch light on a 36 inch tank) not sure the brand of light but i dont think it'll be good for harder corals (SPS) it has the u shaped florsent bulbs. not sure the wattage ill check, any one know what brand it is?

any help or suggestions would be awesome

Pictures:

full tank shot:

blue lights:

filters i have for now (not thrilled about it)

rockscape (looks way better in person)

Hi. You definitely can drill a 40 breeder. I have made a few tanks in the past using those Petco tanks. I used glass-holes.com overflow kits. They work very well. You can do center overflow too but I forgot who makes them. It requires drilling the bottom so be careful. Many tanks are tempered on the bottom.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

drill the top of the back glass and put an external overflow in , you'll be glad you did . its quieter and simpler

I drilled my 40B for a glass-holes, very easy. I recommend filling the new breeder up for a day or two and make sure it is kosher before drilling - drilling will void the warranty regardless of if the leak is from a seam, so better to find out beforehand.

Any links on the external overflow?

Also sorry for posting In the market place must of been the last think I was looking at and not thinking must of hot make new thread. Can a mod ease move to reef talk.

you can drill them, i've done it just fine.
look into a coast to coast glass overflow with a bean animal drain, it is the most quite option out there.

power compacts florescent bulbs with square pin configuration. I remember that light set up from YEARS ago..(12 years ago).. 65 watts each. I use to keep all sorts of softies and LPS under it no problem. I never tried a clam or sps under it.

Last edited:
Back