Help with Stock List

dlux5life

Non-member
Hi Guys-

I wanted to run by a stock list that i am persuing for my 55 gallon reef tank.

You can see the details on my set up in my introduction thread.

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87080

2 Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Pylei Fairy Wrasse
1 Flame Dwarf Angel
I Juvinile Chevron Tang
1 Green Mandarin

The order in which they are listed is the order in which i would like to stock the tank (top to bottom).

My setup is currently just over 4 months old. I have the 2 black and white clowns and the fairy wrasse right now.

I know that the Flame Angel is something that I am going to need to monitor with my soft corals that I have. I heard that they tend to be an issue if the Angel is underfead.

The Chevron Tang is a beautiful fish. I think that at somepoint, I am going to need to sell it back when it matures due to size restrictions.

I have a refugium and seeded it cheato and copepods roughly a month ago. The last fish that I am looking to get is going to be a madarin. I wouldn't look to add this for roughly another 10 months or so. I want to ensure that the copepods have had time to develope a supportive population.

Let me know what you think and if you feel there would be any kind of compatability problems.

Thanks guys-

as far as the mandarin goes if you can get one eating flakes i think you can throw it in whenever you want. if its not i would hold off to the end so that the pods are in the tank because the wrasse will be bigger than and be eating the flakes rather than the pods so that the madarin doesnt starve

well if the wrasse is well grown it will be on frozen and not eating pods whats the timeframe on the stocking of the tank if you wait about 8 months you should be back up to a pod count that will sustain the mandarin

yes. but the mandarin will dessimate the pods in no time. its just physically not enough room and nutrients to produce enough pods to keep a mandarin fed.

Wow. I didn't realize that a madarin would go through pods so quickly. I guess the key with the mandarin is to locate one that is already eating frozen foods.

The wrasse is about 3 inches already. I'll try to post a pic tonight when i get out of work.

I have had the wrasse two days and it is already eating mysis, krill, and chopped scallops. I haven't noticed the wrasse going after the copepods yet, but it is still too early to see if it has a real interest in them..

It seems like the mandarin is the main area of concern.

What is the general consesis when it comes to dwarf angels in a reef tank? Is my understanding correct that they tend to go after soft corals when underfead?

i have a flame angel and a coral beauty in with tons of zoas and mushrooms and they are all fine. also, i just picked up a potters angel from a tank with zoas in it and he didn't bother them at all.

every fish has their own personality. some dwarf angels can be fine for years with soft coral then one day decide he wants to take a bite out of some. on the other hand they may develop the taste for coral it different from fish to fish.

Back