Home Depot Sump Pump

Bettencourt

Non-member
My R/O unit is in the cellar. I fill a 30g trash can for water, then lug 7g at a time upstairs to mix in another trash can to make my saltwater. My question is this, can I use a standard HomeDepot sump pump to transfer the R/O water from the cellar to the trash can upstairs. This would surely help in the lugging of the water.
There is not way to use the R/O upstairs. Thoughts? Thank you

No they have metal parts that will rust over time. Just get a submersible return pump and some hose and run it up stairs.

If it's a real long run from the RO to upstairs, won't that create some back pressure and reduce the efficiency of the RO unit and possibly require a booster pump? I'm curious since I need a better way of getting the water upstairs also.

If it's a real long run from the RO to upstairs, won't that create some back pressure and reduce the efficiency of the RO unit and possibly require a booster pump? I'm curious since I need a better way of getting the water upstairs also.

I run from my ro/di upstairs and have the 20 gallon top-off container in the basement.But,it's like a 25-30 ft. run and I have no problems.
I can't see you having any concerns about back pressure from a 1/4 line.Of coarse this all depends on your incoming water pressure.Mine is like 55-60 psi and I know it would have no problem pushing up one or even 2 stories.
I'd go for it.

why not just set it up so can mix water in your cellar? Then just plum it throw your dry wall. My buddy JM just had his basement system set up and he couldn't be happyer. its a lot easyer filling up a patch of sheetrock then drilling a hole throw your flooring IMO. There's a lot of plus to you can set up a reguium and have a rubbermaid bin with your skimmer and LR and add water valume. and the Mrs. would be happyer knowing your not spilling salt water everywhere.

why not just set it up so can mix water in your cellar? Then just plum it throw your dry wall. My buddy JM just had his basement system set up and he couldn't be happyer. its a lot easyer filling up a patch of sheetrock then drilling a hole throw your flooring IMO. There's a lot of plus to you can set up a reguium and have a rubbermaid bin with your skimmer and LR and add water valume. and the Mrs. would be happyer knowing your not spilling salt water everywhere.

i agree the basement would be easier. aslo speaking from personel experience I have had the buckets overflow a LOT.... Guess I could have it shut off automatically but I never had

Like Royalty mentioned having a sump and all in the basement is pretty attactive. You can make your water and drip in the evap water

the worse That I've seen is people going gagit crazy. I personally love new shiny new things to play with I can't wait for xmas I hoping someone got my wish list lol Reefer elite here I come :p

The reason I ask is because I use two RO membranes and I usually have about 70-80psi going into the first one. After I added about 15 feet of tubing, going from my DI canister to a rain barrel, the pressure dropped to like 60-65psi. The tubing goes into the lid of the barrel and isn't located below the water level either.

It can handle the pressure. Not sure how much it will hurt the membranes in the long run...but I filled my entire tank running the RO tubing up from the basement to the first floor.

For normal use I have this : http://www.fishnreef.com/Dosers/Top-Off/AquaMedic-SP-3000-Dosing-Pump/prod_712.html
does .8 gallons per hour. It works fine if you have an ATO on 1/4 rigid tubing. I don't like the idea of extending my reef into the basement (because then there is no stopping it from quickly taking over the entire basement!). I like the idea of just keeping my top-off in the basement since it is too big to keep anywhere else.

My R/O unit is in the cellar. I fill a 30g trash can for water, then lug 7g at a time upstairs to mix in another trash can to make my saltwater. My question is this, can I use a standard HomeDepot sump pump to transfer the R/O water from the cellar to the trash can upstairs. This would surely help in the lugging of the water.
There is not way to use the R/O upstairs. Thoughts? Thank you

Yes you can. As long as the head pressure is not to much. As for metal parts. Its a water pump, so it should be suitable for pumping the purest water there is R/O. If you are really worried about it rusting just take it out of your R/O when not in use. Even in saltwater those pumps last over a year even if they are used multiple times a week.

I use one of these to store water in my basement and then ran a line up to my bathroom right near the tub. It goes from the basement to the 2nd floor.
Now I can fill up my buckets in the tub and not worry about flooding.

Back