How and when to safely move lights

CaptainK

Non-member
Hi All,
My new 75G is just about at the end of the cyling process. Nitrates were way high 3 days ago when last measured. The tank has no lighting on it at all and is being cycled by new LR and a few pieces of LR and LS from my established 29G.
Here is the problem. The 29G is set-up 30 miles away from where I live now. And I am going to reuse the Icecap VHO ballast on this new tank. In the 29G I have a lot of various mushrooms, TONS of star polyps, 2 montiporas and a brain and bubble coral.
So how can I move the new lighting system over to the new system but still keep the corals in the 29G alive until they get relocated to their new home?

I am thinking that if I move the lights over first that this may cause some sort of water problem as the new tank has never seen light yet? Or if I just move everything over at once then that would cause the new tank to get too much at once and may cause another cycle

Thanks for any help,
CaptK

PS - I will be using 4x110W VHO bulbs on the new tank.

if any body has a old light system they are not using maybe they could help you out a power compact sounds like it would work just fine for a week or so.

I don't think moving your corals in all at once would cause a problem, since they don't really contribute to nutrient levels.

Back