How effective is Algae Scrubber?

I ran one for a bit worked well but it was loud and made evap and spray horrible. Though that could have just been due to the way I built it.

There are more energy efficient pumps out there than the mag series. I got an eheim which if I remember right was somewhere around 45 watts. I don't have the model number or the gpm on the top of my head but I will find out. I also used LEDs for the lighting. I found them at Costco for $19.00. The initial cost was a lot more than using CFLs but the long term savings will be worth it. The LED lamps use only 19 watts and will last years. So it's possible to bring those yearly costs down a bit by laying out a little more $$ when you do your build.

Yeah, definitely, I think if your going to keep it a while, it's worth spending more up front to cut back on the long term monthly costs. Up front, the Mag drives are a lot cheaper though. I'll probably go that way if I ever get around to building another one. And BTW, I do like ATSs, I'm not sure how my posts come across on the net... Just trying to point out some of the considerations people seem to overlook.

I guess it depends the way you build it, but if you look at the new screen size guidelines most people should have a very small scrubber for their tank. Also you can use flow from your drain line so you dont really need an extra pump and even if you do it will probably be comparable to your skimmer pump in size so thats a wash.. and if lights are costing you $140 a year you may be over sizing it a bit? My skimmer cost me $250, had to replace the pump already which I think was about $100 or so. My scrubber cost me max $30 with bulbs, and it wont cost me more than $40 a year in bulbs. Im running 46w total on my scrubber 10 hours a day so that costs me less than $2 per month.. Will take me at least 3-4 years to cost the same as my skimmer, and thats if I dont have to buy a third pump for it..

Again, guess it depends on the quantity you feed your fish(which determines the size of your scrubber) and if you need to add another pump or not for flow. Scrubbers can be really cheap and a great way to export though, no doubt about it. I have tried skimming, GFO, macro algaes, vodka dosing, other chemical additives, and for me scrubbing has given me the best results by far. GFO was by far the most expensive and waste of time product I tried

I guess it depends on the tank and how closely you follow the RC algae scrubber basics thread.

According to "Floyd R Turbo" for example, there are certain requirements.

1) 35gph of flow, per linear inch of screen.
So, for my tank, assuming some head loss and that I want a reliable pump, there is some head loss and I'd need about a mag 7. So, that is 70W and would cost about $6.13 per month to run.

2) 0.5 to 1W per gallon lighting, actual, not "equivalent wattage" run for 18hrs per day.
So, for my tank, that would be $4.6 to $9.2 per month in electricity.

Then the bulbs "need" to be replaced every 3 months. In bulk, CFL bulbs seem to be about $0.25 per watt. So,
that would be $70-$140 per year.

So, following "Floyd R Turbo's" recommendation, the operating cost would be something in $199-$324 per year range for my tank. I only paid $370 for my XP2000 skimmer, and using the same method for electrical calculation, the operating cost is about $26.28 per year. So, just the operating costs would likely catch up to my skimmer in under two years. That doesn't include up front cost. A mag 7 is about $70ish I would want something safe, so, the bulbs would need acrylic splash gaurds etc... so, the initial cost, would be somewhere around $100. I seem to keep skimmers for several years. I guess if you replace them more often, that is another story.

I could buy used stuff, but I could also buy a used skimmer... I could skimp on changing lights and such maybe you think you don't need that much. Floyds method is trendy now though, so, that is what I am going by...

and if lights are costing you $140 a year you may be over sizing it a bit?

Maybe, I'm just going by what it says in the thread and it is in the first post and has been re-stated more recently as well:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977420

from it:
"
LIGHTING
-23w Spiral CFL bulbs- (2,700 kelvin is suggested)
Bulbs should be about 4 iches away from screen
Vertical MINIMUM 0.5 watts per gallon
Vertical HIGH 1.0 watts per gallon
Horizonal MINIMUM 1.5 actual watts per gallon"

and under the "Maintenance/Schedule" section
"-Bulbs must be changed every 3 months"

My system is 93g display, 29g second display and sump. I know based on stoichiometry that there is approx 140g of water in the system, not including rocks, sand etc.. In reality, some would probably say it is a bit overstocked. So, the bioload may be equivalent to more than that. When I tried a smaller ATS, it worked, but was not quite sufficient. I had better luck with GFO, and vodka/vinegar dosing etc.. LOL. I have been thinking of adding one again though. LEDs sound appealing, but from statements elsewhere, the authors of this thread, still claim you need the full 0.5-1.0 W per gallon, and actual watts, not "equivalent" wattage. I haven't played around with it enough though, to say otherwise, the point is just if you go by the thread, as most seem to be doing these days, it isn't cheap. Whether or not you could do it for less, is certainly something I am interested in hearing opinions about.

Last edited:
Actually, looking at it, I was pricing the spotlights, because they take up less space than having a spiral with a reflector. The spirals do appear to a lot cheaper, more like $40-$60 per year or so. So, that isn't as bad. The reflectors would be a little more upfront cost, but still not as bad. I'm not sure how well they would fit a small vertical screen though? Regardless, it still, the total cost would pay for the skimmer within a few years...

Back