how high do you place your lights

Renato

Reef Addicted
I have an ATI lights 6x24w how high should I place it? I dont know if I should place it to close to the tank and burn the corals.
I dont have any corals right now, just for the future.

Agreed. I have my Hydra about 8" off the top of my tank. Your corals will let you know if they are unhappy.

Have you been running this light, or are you just putting it on your tank?

think average is 6-12" or so.
yoiu could always slowly acclimate corals higher to be safest.

Agreed. I have my Hydra about 8" off the top of my tank. Your corals will let you know if they are unhappy.

Have you been running this light, or are you just putting it on your tank?

Its been running for two weeks, but no corals yet.

I would imagine you are hanging the light? At least you will have flexibility, if you use an adjustable hanging kit so you can start higher and lower it if you aren't happy with how things are responding, growth, etc.

Last edited:
I would imagine you are hanging the light? At least you will have flexibility, if you use an adjustable hanging kit so you can start higher and lower it if you aren't happy with how things are responding, growth, etc.

Yes hanging!

your 60g cube is pretty tall. and since your light is T5. you should have your light about 6-8 inches above the water line to get good par.

I also think it depends on what you had before and the intensify. ...say you had AI or radios at 6/8 inches at60% and were going to T5 you would probably be fine. Where you will rub into problems isgiing from t5 to MH or highoutput less. Just my 2cents

Back