How long before I can add coral to a new tank?

Gsxkid

BRS Member
Tanks been up and running for roughly 2 months.
My water tests from today

Temp 78
Salinity 1.024 (swing type refractometer )
Ph - 8
Kh - 8
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - less than 5
Phosphate - 0
Calcium - 320 going to try and bring that up.

Tested about the same for 3-4 weeks. At what point would you feel safe adding coral to a newer tank?

If your tank is cycled and you have fish in the tank, you are good to go. I would highly highly suggest dumping the swing arm and buy a proper refractometer. Don't sweat your numbers, just keep up with regular water changes and early on that will maintain your numbers. I was doing 15pct weekly changes for almost a year before my coral load was high enough to start dosing.

Well you can add a couple fish not more than that corals.... Well over 400 calcium is better mag at 1350 and alk around 8 ish is good now stability is key that takes longer. But as chiffon says it takes a while

I added a small favia colony and a duncan around 6 weeks and they are both thriving today (favia is growing and encrusting the frag plug and the 1-headed duncan is now 9 heads after about 4 months). Duncans are extremely hardy and a very cool coral to watch eat and grow.

I want to get one I'm thinking of giving it a couple more weeks. I have a little algea bloom at this point which seems wierd to me. I'm using RODI my nitrates are less than 5 and my phosphates are testing zero. My skimmer is working good.

Back