How thick for fuge baffles?

jaiden

Non-member
What thickness of acrylic do I need to be working with? the fuge is going to be 10 or 12" wide, so each one shouldn't have to hold a whole lot of weight or a large span

The sump I'm using now have only 1/8 thick and is in a 20gal high glass aquarium. Water level is 9-10" deep and is been like that for almost 2 years. But I'm in a process of building a new sump (with lots of help from our local acrylic guru) and is 1/4" acrylic all around.

In my first DIY sump a 55 I used 1/8 acrylic, it eventually bowed until the joint failed. I'd say 1/4" is a min.

who is the local acrylic guru? I want a sump/fuge but I don't really have much to spend, so I was hoping to DIY

hehehehe, thanks guys, but I dont think I'm a Guru.
Rob, maybe whem I start to build and sell those sumps/fuge I will change my screen name :D and I'm almost there!!!

Jaiden, are you thinking on build a new sump/fuge or you are gonna use a glass tank with acrylic baffles? How big is your tank?

Gustavo

Gustavo you don't give yourself enough credit. I've seen you in action. If I were as handy as you'd I'd have a great little side business on my hands.

The problem, is that I dont have the space yet!!
I need a house with a good garage or basement to make it into a workshop.
But I'm getting there ;)

I was hoping to use a 15H tank with acrylic baffles. I have a 54g bowfront corner tank so space is limited in the stand.

Where can I get acrylic sheets? I can't carry a whole sheet in my car (don't need a whole one anyway). I think i can use my father in law's table saw in Springfield, since I don't think cutting it by hand with a circular saw is a good plan

Why not use glass baffles in your glass tank? 1/8" would be thick enough. Wouldn't bow, and you can get them for cheaper than acrylic from any glass shop. I'll bet you have a few in your town.

Nate

well, if you gonna use a 15H tank, you can go to HD and by small acrylic sheet, 12"x24", 24"x24" or 24"x36"....etc.
Or call Jfreeman or any other acrylic place and ask them to cut the acrylic on the size that you need.
you dont need the 0.25 acrylic, you can use 0.22 acrylic.

J. Freeman, Inc.
65 Tenean Street Dorchester, MA 02122
(617) 282-1150 or (800) 841-9442

Gustavo

I used 1/4 acrylic from Lowes......I think it was $30 for a 2x3 piece...probably is expensive but I only needed one for my sump/fuge combo in a 20 AGA high tank

Back