Thick, Dark Skimmate?! Yuck!!!!!

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
Have you ever got yelled at when cleaning your Skimmer’s collection Cup? I have. As a matter of fact, now more than ever…. My wife went off at me last night for “Stinking up” the whole apartment :p.

I guess she doesn’t get as excited as I do when I see a Dark, Thick and Stinky Sludge in the Skimmer Cup LOL.

Joking aside, I have had to empty the Skimmer cup more often now since I upgraded from my Vertex IN-100 to a Super Reefer Octopus SSS5000. The Skimmer is a lot bigger, so I thought I wouldn’t have to empty it as much… WRONG!!!! The Skimmate is so much thicker/stinky I have to do it every 3-5 days or my living room smells like Sewer/Poop! Good stuff:cool:.

How often do you have to empty your Skimmer Cup before somebody complains? ;)

Higor

Last edited:
Haha same thing here when I'm cleaning the collection cup and scoop up a beautiful finger full of gunk that's not floating around the tank anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it at night just before my wife goes to bed.It fires her right up!!
And I do it in the bathroom in our bedroom.lol
Of course she goes to bed way before me.lol

LOL

Of course sometimes I blame the skimmer for somethings. Like when she looks at me funny like I did something... "It's not me honey, must be time to clean the Skimmer again..." :p

Hahaha
That skimmers a beast!
My skimmer drains into a gallon container w a float valve so it won't overflow.
Oh and it's all down in my fish room in the basement. I empty it about once every other week

My SRO 3000 ext pulled out that much in a day. So I have to empty the cup every other day. I do it when no one is around the kitchen.

Hahaha
That skimmers a beast!
My skimmer drains into a gallon container w a float valve so it won't overflow.
Oh and it's all down in my fish room in the basement. I empty it about once every other week

Yes it is!

I thought about getting a Skimmate Locker from Avast for it, just not sure if it will keep the smell away though. Anyone with one of those around that can comment?

You guys are lucky to have a basement. When I have my own place with a basement I wil definetely do a basement sump for things like this...

My SRO 3000 ext pulled out that much in a day. So I have to empty the cup every other day. I do it when no one is around the kitchen.

That's insane Dong! U had it hooked up to ur whole system? What do u run now? I don't think I remember seeing what you have for a Skimmer...

My Vertex used to pull dark Skimmate, but this guy pulls something fierce. The Vertex was definetely under powered compared to this guy. At first I thought I was going to have an issue having Skimmer rated for 400G in my 120G tank w/40G sump, but it's been working great I have to say. Plus, I told the wife it leaves enough power for when the Tangs out grow the tank and I have to upgrade to a 180G... :p

If I don't clean the cup in 3-4 days, it's like there is a constant "Fart" lingering around the tank! :cool:

Higor

I clean my collection cup twice a week. I just take it off and bring it outside and hose it down. I know when it needs to be done because my wife will complain that the cat box needs to be cleaned.

I had a post on equipment for homemade skimmate lockers. I cant seem to find it. I will try to post a picture, it works well and the carbon cup on top does a great job at killing the smell as is no smell comes out. Any one wants a quick picture, I can shoot them to cell easy, PM a number. I can help anyone make it. A float switch is built in so no overflows.

So, I opened a thread just like this one on Reef Central and Lord be hold the Reefers @ Reef Central never cease to surprise me... A lot of people across the country uses "Skimmate" as fertilizer in their garden! I swear, just when you thought you have heard everything about this hobby...it throws you a curve ball!

Very interesting :p

Higor

So, I opened a thread just like this one on Reef Central and Lord be hold the Reefers @ Reef Central never cease to surprise me... A lot of people across the country uses "Skimmate" as fertilizer in their garden! I swear, just when you thought you have heard everything about this hobby...it throws you a curve ball!

Very interesting :p

Higor

I bet it makes great fertilizer!

If you smell it for long enough it starts to smell like Oreos.

WHAT?! LMAO!!! ;)

Not sure what u feeding ur tank (or where u get your Oreos :cool:) , but I don't think mine would smell like Oreos even if I wanted it to! That was a good laugh though...

Higor

My pregnant wife hates when I clean this out:

A little over 1 week's worth of skimmate from my Eshopps S-150 cone skimmer. Travel mug shown for size reference only :)

Back