how to kill mushrooms?

Qwank

Non-member
the mushrooms in my tank are growing like weeds. I started out with 5, now they are all over the place, on the back wall, on my clam, my cocoa worm. everywhere. they manage to kill a colony of zoas, green star polyps and half of an acro. they also made there way onto a christmas tree rock and some of the worms have died. i've tried cutting them off my rocks and they grow back. i even went in and sliced them up with a razor blade and they came back a week later bigger then before. i have no room to add any more coral because they are covering all my live rock. how do i get rid of them?
GetAttachment5.jpg

..subscribed..

I've taken rocks out and basically gone over the 'shrooms with a fine wire brush to get all the pieces off.. seems to work fairly well..

I love them, but would like to have a few, but they seem to spread all over!

i could try that, theres only 2 rocks in there though. it will release a lot of crap into the water if i take them out. i'm really just concerned with the rock that the clam is on, because that one will go into my new tank. and the christmas tree rock. but i wouldnt be able to take that rock out of the water because of the clam.

I would try taking the rocks out, removing as much as possible with a razor, and then dip the surface of the rock into boiling water. I did this to remove some green star polyps and it worked great. Don't drop the entire rock into the boiling water, as you'll kill any good stuff on there too. Just carefully dip all the parts you want to kill.

i might keep the big rock with the tank when i sell it. its about 6-7 pounds. the smaller 4 pounder has my clam on it so i can't dip it in boiling water. i'll have to scrape them with the razor again i guess.

joe's juice or anything like that dosnt work on shrooms?

Lime paste........but be careful.
I'm constantly killing off rhodactis mushrooms.

what do you do with the lime paste? do you shoot it in thier mouths or just put it on them? why do you have to be careful? will it hurt anything else, like my fish or clam?

on purpose?

Yes,they're huge brown/green rhodactis.
They grow over monticap and sting it.
I've melted them with kalk paste many times.Sometimes the foot will grow back into 3-4 tiny mushrooms.They are very persistant growers in my tank.
I've fragged a few off for members.But the ones that are hard to get to(90%),I kalk them.
Here's a picture from a while back.Some get 4 inches across and sting other corals pretty bad.

Attachments

• 11-14-07_TS.jpg
    11-14-07_TS.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 176
what do you do with the lime paste? do you shoot it in thier mouths or just put it on them? why do you have to be careful? will it hurt anything else, like my fish or clam?

I don't think that I'd attempt it with a clam.
Yes,I use a test kit syringe and stick them in the mouth.
Sometimes they melt in half and you end up with 2.:rolleyes:
I use Mrs. Wages pickle lime and make a somewhat heavy paste out of it by adding a little ro water.I shut the powerheads and return pump off.
Then I pipe that paste right in the mouth and over the mushroom as best as possible without getting any on wanted corals.You can also cut away the mushroom cap and kalk paste just the foot.
I wait about 5-10 minutes then use a turkey baster to blow the stuff away.
Then start all the powerheads and return pump up again.
It will just mix into your water and disappear.
Just don't do too much at once as it could possibly raise PH too high.

Muriatic acid, in a syringe. Direct injection into the mushroom base = dead mushroom. Works on other things too, like zoos or aiptasia.

Downside is it will slightly lower your tank pH, and your tank alkalinity, but that is all :)

Back