Laser to kill majano or aiptasia with

My 230 gallons was with hundreds aiptasia, I say hundreds. I thought I lost the control, I tried everything including nudibranchs from Reeftown, they told me to wait, which I did 3 months and it got worst, than was thousands...I had also 3 file fish,nothing as well.....Then the miracle beautiful copperband fish was given to me...I never saw this,....in about 3-4 weeks he cleaned EVERYSINGLE one...I said everysingle one. So with my experience I highly recommend get this fish. I do not have 1

The problem is Peppermint has tons of different types, you probably luck got gthe right one..I have 8 in my tank that never did anything beside destroy my soft corals
If you have too many of them go with the laser zapper it works well. I did had the zapper years ago. when I had soft corals. But I don't have soft corals. No more Too expensive lol.
I only have nems now

What works best? Any suggestions much appreciated. What strength is necessary?

It seems like for a lot of the people that have tried this, it made the problem worse.

Berghias only don't work if they die during shipping or acclimation (or maybe you get too few and they die before they solve the problem). Or you didn't get Berghias, which some people have also claimed happened.

The only issue is that they seem to be available sporadically, or are very expensive. I usually try to buy locally, as two of these are enough to clear a 60 gallon tank within several days and total costs after shipping for two are crazy.

In 14 years of reefing, my tank has been Aiptasia free for almost the entire time. I think over that entire span I've used Berghias twice and the tank was cleared within a week. Right now I have a few Aiptasia that have popped up. I'm waiting to get more Berghias locally.

I also believe berghias to be the only real solution to aptasia. Everything else eats some but can’t get into the crevices like the bergs can.

One other thing...I know with certainty that many of the other methods (Aiptasia-X, Lemon Juice, Kalk, boiling water) will make the problem worse.

I've used Copperbands and peppermint shrimp in the past. Sometimes when they are gone, they really are gone. I've not seen one in any of my tanks in probably 3-4 year, and not in my main tank in at least 8 years.

I've used Copperbands and peppermint shrimp in the past. Sometimes when they are gone, they really are gone. I've not seen one in any of my tanks in probably 3-4 year, and not in my main tank in at least 8 years.
Good

Just got 6 berghias from reeftown.com. They say not to expect much for a few months until they've reproduced through several generations but I've noticed that the rock where I introduced them is already aiptasia-free. One thing I'm hoping with the berghias is that they get into my overflow and my sump. I've had peppermint shrimp and a Copperband in the past and they both did a great job in the tank but obviously weren't able to get anywhere else.

If you introduce the bergs after lights out it shouldn’t be a problem with wrasses since they aren’t nocturnal. It’ll give the berg some time to hide. Shrimp on the other hand could be fatal.

I have a possum wrasse (Wetmorella nigropinnata) and two fire shrimp. Reeftown warns about peppermint shrimp but they don't mention other types of shrimp. Anyway, that's partly why I'm glad I've already seen some aiptasia disappear - at least I know my $100 worth of berghias didn't just get eaten right away :)

Back