How to remove an elephant ear off live rock

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
My elephant ear has attached itself to the largest piece of live rock in my tank. I need to move it and can't get it off. It started to puke out nasty stuff when I touch it. I heard about the powerhead method and does it work for mushroom? I should put him on the sand to begin with.

OK, I tried to point a powerhead under it and it puked again. I have to stop before all its gut is out. Doesn't work.

Moving an Elephant Ear

Take a very sharp razor blade, and cut it off the rock as close to the base as possible. It will puke some stuff out -- don't worry about it. Leave it in tact as best you can. Set it in a quarantine tank with light or other region with VERY LOW flow and some light for a week or two to let it recover. If you use a QT tank, change the water often (but slowly) with new water from the main tank. It will recover just fine. The bits left on your live rock may well grow back to new mushrooms in time.

If you have already angered it, you might want to let it recover for a week or so before doing the main operation.

-Greg

Ok, I will leave him alone for a week. He is still angry.

Back