I just setup NP BioPellets on my system

I had 0 issues with algae up until about 2weeks ago. I have been running my pellets since March in a Dual BRS reractor. I ended up modifiing the intake to 1/2in line, and removing the screens. I am the cause of my problems, I have been feeding double than what I did before the pellets, and I went without a skimmer for a week, and didnt decrease my feedings. I hadnt done a WC in 3months, and I was away for 4 days with lights on 24/7, so you get the idea.

I agree that these are great on a smaller system(<180), but could get expensive on a much larger system. I wasnt at the meeting, and I dont know if it was mentioned, but I think one of the problems with it is not knowing how much to add to a system. The two questions I keep seeing is how much, and how much tumble???

I would def use these in a tank, and I am getting back to basics to clean up my system. I NEVER had HA or any other issuses, and I needed to get a SeaHare as well. No matter what you are using, you still need to do WC and take care of your system.

I am getting ready to give up on these things...my nitrates are zero after going a month without a water change on a 30g heavily stocked system. However, I need to do weekly water changes anyway, and there was never a nitrate problem to begin with.

What I WAS hoping for, was phosphate elimination. I never had any algae before using GFO...on the rocks anyway. I thought the biopellets might reduce my glass cleanings to once a week. These things haven't helped with that at all, and I have an algae problem (initially caused by a roommate overfeeding while I was on vacation) that I haven't been able to get rid of for months.

What are other people doing? Anyone still using these?

Mine work great. Been using them since last December. Don't listen to all the hype, they are biopellets, not miracle pellets. You still have to do your basic husbandry like you always did. You can't blame the pellets if something else goes wrong (i.e. roomate overfeeding, or no skimmer for a week) and then expect a quick fix for the problem it creates. If you were using vodka or Zeo you would be experiencing the same results in that situation. I think the most important thing is to have enough of them. I don't think the manufacturers really have a handle on the amount people should use. You have to experiment for yourself to find what works best.

I understand what you are saying, but maybe I wasn't clear. I was not looking for a quick fix. I have been using the pellets since January. I went away for two weeks during June, and my roommate overfed. It's not an excuse, it's a fact. In order to fix this, I removed as much of the algae that bloomed during my vacation as possible, and have now done probably 30 (yes 30) water changes, all while physically removing the algae every time. I also blow off the rocks every water change, and have cut the photoperiod to seven hours. I have always done weekly water changes, and all minerals and levels are controlled, so the water has always been stable and pristine. My husbandry practices are clearly fine, and the only variable I can find between my tank and ones without algae problems is that I run biopellets and not GFO (I was told by a very experienced reefer that the biopellets work better without running GFO). Keep in mind that biopellets claims to remove phosphates! Furthermore, they are supposed to be effective until they have disintegrated, and mine have not.

The problem derived from the fact that not only did the roommate overfeed, he didn't melt the food either. The bottom line is that the pellets haven't done anything for the phosphate problem, and I don't think they're effective. My experience tells me that GFO is more effective at removing phosphates, and I am looking for confirmation of this from other reefers.

All my water is made using 0 TDS RO/DI that I make with Tropic Marin Pro Reef.

Mine work great. Been using them since last December. Don't listen to all the hype, they are biopellets, not miracle pellets. You still have to do your basic husbandry like you always did. You can't blame the pellets if something else goes wrong (i.e. roomate overfeeding, or no skimmer for a week) and then expect a quick fix for the problem it creates. If you were using vodka or Zeo you would be experiencing the same results in that situation. I think the most important thing is to have enough of them. I don't think the manufacturers really have a handle on the amount people should use. You have to experiment for yourself to find what works best.

From my understanding, there's a certain ratio of N:p that bacteria consume. If there isn't enough nitrates (I think), then the uptake of phosphates would be reduced.

From what I've read, most of the pellet manufacturers recomend using GFO and a lot of people do. It would certainly help with the hair algae.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think thats what alot of people find confusing. It seems like no one really know what to recomend. I dont know if the package says it now, but I have an older package and its really kind of vague. Mine seem to be working and doing there job, I just have to remember to do mine.:eek:

This is what i'm hoping for.

Not a miracle....but a useful, cheap, and low maintenance part of a larger filteration system.

It's clearly not total snake oil. The bacterial bloom and pungent skimmate attests to that.

Just took out the bottom sponge on ky reactor. Amazing the more movement I am getting.

MVHC

Back