I just setup NP BioPellets on my system

I just installed these today on a TLF reactor and a mj 1200 with a valve. They just sort of float in one huge chunk. Is this normal at the start up or should I break the chunk up?

I started with a smaller pump, went to a MJ1200 and then went with a mag 7. I also had the sponge in to start with and had the clumping. I believe the clumping was due to the sponges and too small a pump. They haven't clumped up yet from the mag 7 but I have heard it will eventually happen.

Ok, Mine has been up and running since Wednesday (and now it's Sunday). I have had no clumping whatsoever.....yet. Tumbling beautifully!

I am using the new NextReef SMR1 XL NP Biopellets Reactor. I run it off the return pump and the 5/8" fittings on the reactor really set the flow for me. I do have a ball valve after it and have it dialed back just slightly.

My water is a little cloudy and the skimmer has been producing tons of waste. Is it possible that the pellets cause the waste/proteins that were tied up in the tank to suddenly be released into the water column? Just a thought.

So far I am quite happy. I'll test the nitrates at the two week mark and report back. They usually run at 20-30.

Side note:
I'm tempted to use the flow through the reactor to feed the skimmer. It looks like a good match, flow wise. I've read here and from the biopellets description that the reactor should flow outward toward the skimmer intake. Why not directly into the skimmer intake? I would just be worried of any eventual clumping slowing the flow to the skimmer.

Attachments

• NextReef SMR1 XL NP Biopellets Reactor.jpg
    NextReef SMR1 XL NP Biopellets Reactor.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,199
2 week update

Exactly two weeks after my plunge into NP Biopellets, my tank is Nitrate-free for the very first time ever!

My PH is stabile at around 8.1 though, but I think this will slowly rebound.

And, as for Phosphates, I cannot give you a reading because I don't have a test kit for that.

So, I'm happy knowing that my invertebrates will thrive (including all life in my refugium)

Oh, and NO clumping at all with the new Nextreef Reactor....:)

Exactly two weeks after my plunge into NP Biopellets, my tank is Nitrate-free for the very first time ever!

My PH is stabile at around 8.1 though, but I think this will slowly rebound.

And, as for Phosphates, I cannot give you a reading because I don't have a test kit for that.

So, I'm happy knowing that my invertebrates will thrive (including all life in my refugium)

Oh, and NO clumping at all with the new Nextreef Reactor....:)

Do you have the output of the reactor going towards a skimmer or just to a return pump/straight to the main display?

I'm into 2 weeks this Saturday and since this morning I noticed a HUGE cyno bloom. I got home and the tank's front glass was covered in brown stuff all around. I usually clean it once a week but this time it went crazy in just 2 days.

Any ideas why this may happened? My Phosphates still read 0 like before the pellets.

I had a huge cyno bloom also

any running the pellets have goniopora or elegances. As I understand these grow in nutrient based areas. Since I have run this they arent doing anywhere as well.

I am wondering if running the pellets would be actually not benifit corals that want nutrient rich water?

thanks Frank

Mine runs back into the sump Where it is then pumped:

33% to main display
33% to skimmer
33% to Reactor

No cyano for me, yet. Maybe this cyano bloom is a temporary thing. Seems like it is just flushing my water clean. Skimmer is producing very nice, steady waste. Initially, it produced globs and globs of waste. Also, initially, cloudy water and rapid PH drop Then PH stabilizes and water's clear.

I still have faith. Skimmer production alone is worth it.

IMO this system could be flawed by the flow rate required.
They are set up with a very slow flow rate based on the action of moving the pellets.This may be fine on small systems but on larger systems i believe it is not enough throughput to be effective.
The zeovit system bases flow through the reactor on system net volume.

FWIW after i went back to the zeovit basic 4 the cyano dissappeared in less than a week

The cyno seems to be going away little by little. I had the pellets barely tumbling before and I raised the flow a bit more.

My skimmer is actually getting some nice gunk.

My biopellets have been running for several months now in the Nextreef Biopellets reactor. Still no clumping.

And, I've noticed salt creep is much less. The air intake on my Reeflo Orca Skimmer has not clogged once since I started the biopellets. It used to need cleaning once/week.

My system is primarily fish only, with two anemones. The anemones were initially shocked a little from the biopellets, but have bounced back to maybe 70%. They're just starting to eat Mysis shrimp cubes again.

Maybe the Np Biopellets are ideal for Fish Only?

Set mine up today. These are interesting times for reefers...

Okay, it has been about six months. I thought I would share my experiences.

I had a very difficult time figuring out the best way to run the pellets. Anything short on flow would cause clumping. A two stage BRS reactor ended up clogging, and the bacteria grew so much (and got so hot!) that I ended up with kalk precipitation all over the inside of the two stage reactor . This was being fed by a MAG7.

After that I set them up inside a CA reactor - though they did not tumble, they did get a lot of even flow through them at all times. I ended up with a lot of particulate matter in the pellets, and eventually I wanted to use the CA reactor for its intended use, so I set the pellets up in a NextReef reactor over this past weekend. I T'd off my return (1260). Now they are completely fluidized.

I guess the main point to carry across here is that it didn't really matter how I ran the pellets. They seemed to work regardless.

I started with 1000ml on my little tank, and I have seen minimal degradation of the pellets even after 6 months.

My skimmer produces a dark, smelly skimmate that I have to empty three times a week or else my apt starts to smell funny.

I have watched a noticeable decrease in ALL forms of nuisance algae. In fact, most types have died off in my system with the exception of bubble algae, which is slowly dying back.

My nitrates are always undetectable with Elos kits. I have not had access to a phosphate meter, but I'm more of an intuitive sort anyway and I try to let my tank tell me when something is wrong. My corals are colorful. I have fantastic PE. I can feed approximately twice as much as I had been prior to the pellets with no negative effects.

I think thes pellets are wonderful. They will be placed on any tank I ever run. I no longer need to deal with GFO, and that in and of itself is worthwhile to me.

it seems like we're going to have some good questions for Murray Camp on Saturday.....

it seems like we're going to have some good questions for Murray Camp on Saturday.....

I didn't attend and just took the pellets out for the second time last night. More cyano and hair algae which I never had before ever. Did he happen to mention the possibility of this leaching into the main tank and feeding nuisance algae?

Disclosure...I am no expert here, but paid pretty close attention to his presentation. From what I understood, there is a brief period where the bacteria is becoming established on the pellets...where the nutrients ramp UP, which is why they suggest aggressive skimming. What are you skimming with?

Disclosure...I am no expert here, but paid pretty close attention to his presentation. From what I understood, there is a brief period where the bacteria is becoming established on the pellets...where the nutrients ramp UP, which is why they suggest aggressive skimming. What are you skimming with?

Hmm interesting but this has been running for months once again and it just continues to degrade. No nitrates or P04 detectable but we all know that doesn't always mean anything. Skimmer is a Tunze 9410 on a 93 cube.

I installed a SMR1-XL about a week ago with maybe 200ml or less of NP media to start, and I’ve seen what started as NO3 @ 20ppm & PO4 @ .75ppm go to NO3 @ 2.5ppm & PO4 @ .01ppm as of today. However this is new 225 gallon tank that I upgraded too from a 185 just a week prior to that, so there are a lot of factors here.
next.jpg

Here is my update.

I've gone through about 3 pumps. I'm using an eheim now which is keeping it semi fluidized.

Since I have started I've had an increase in HA and cyano. I've actually started dosing vinegar in the system and got a sea hare. Hopefully that stuff can take care of it.
My oupi
Is right next to my skimmer pump. I do have to empty it skimmer more often now though.
Steve

Back