I just setup NP BioPellets on my system

I think people aren't understanding my position here.. i'm not even involved enough with it to have a valid opinion.. so i can't really criticize... all my position ever was is that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

You know what's too good to be true? That KFC Double-Down sandwich. Yum. !*)

Yeah 2000 calories all saturated fat, they should taste good!

I miss Popeyes Chicken we used to have one in Leominster many years ago. Red Beans and Rice now that's good eating:)

I miss Popeyes Chicken we used to have one in Leominster many years ago. Red Beans and Rice now that's good eating:) I have to feed my Lipitor...

I miss Popeyes Chicken we used to have one in Leominster many years ago. Red Beans and Rice now that's good eating:) I have to feed my Lipitor...

Actually, only 540 calories...less than a Big Mac. If you are a guy it's really not that many calories!

I haven't noticed anything but good results so far. I've been cautiously optimistic from the start. I'm running 2 liters on a 600 gallon system in one of the NextReef reactors. I have the flow up high enough just enough so the pellets look fluidized, about the same as I would with phosban. I had red cyano before and now it's gone, and the hair algae and bryopsis has definitely slowed down. I'm not pulling out nearly as much or as often since before the pellets. I've also been a little lax about water changes. I haven't changed anything in the past few months with the exception of adding the pellets.

Have any of you that are having bad experiences changed anything else since adding the pellets?

I haven't seen much discussion about how the effluent is or is not being directed to skimmers? Seems to me that that might be a very important variable.

Also, how many people are running GFO in addition to the pellets?

I haven't seen much discussion about how the effluent is or is not being directed to skimmers? Seems to me that that might be a very important variable.

I actually don't follow the directions for this at all. My output is right above my main return pump. My skimmer pulls out about a cup and a half of nasty gunk every single day without exception, plus a lot of nasty build up on the riser into the cup. Smells awful.

Oh yeah - no GFO in tandem. I stopped using GFO when I set up the pellets. I feed a good pinch of food twice a day.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are a lot of ways to do this. IIRC I saw Randy post somewhere that it sounded like feeding the mulm to the tank might make for good coral food :)

I just wonder if there are any common trends among those who have not been so happy with the pellets?

I actually cut a little hole into my filter inlet to my skimmer pump. I am also running GFO.
The pellets seem to have gotten rid of my hair algae that i had. I don't know if it's a miracle product but has helped with my tank.

I'm running 1000ml on a 200 gal. total volume tank. I have a small tumble to the pellets. I'm using a Nextreef reactor and replaced the elbowed inlet/outlets with straight hose barbs to get a little extra flow.

I am running GFO, the output is feeding my skimmer (more or less), the pellets are tumbling..... 2000 ml for around 350 g of water........I would say I have done more water changes to reduce the algae.............

btw my skimate is pretty clear.... nothing exciting come out

Thanks for the positive updates. At least I know now that I will, at the very least, benefit somewhat from my investment. Anyhow, the new Nextreef XL Reactor and the accompanying pellets are scheduled to arrive Tuesday the 25th, via aquariumspecialty.com .

I will certainly give feedback. Especially about the new reactor and it's benefits regarding the NP Biopellets.

I have the output going directly into one of the venturis on my skimmer.

So I have the two little fishies reactor running my pellets for a couple months and they seemed to have clogged the sponges b/c not much tumbling is going on. What are other people doing to fix this problem? Any easy mods that may help? Can I run the pellets without the sponges?

So I have the two little fishies reactor running my pellets for a couple months and they seemed to have clogged the sponges b/c not much tumbling is going on. What are other people doing to fix this problem? Any easy mods that may help? Can I run the pellets without the sponges?

I read somewhere in these pages that some people took out the sponges. I have the same, a TLF and a MJ1200 with a gate valve that I'm going to set up this weekend. I'm going to try it out without the sponges

I have reduced cyano, increased bryopsis and the same HA. Maybe I need to run more pellets. I am trying to remember how much I bought. I have not added anymore. I run GFO. I feed fish and corals A LOT of food. Hey, what's a little algae among friends?

I read somewhere in these pages that some people took out the sponges. I have the same, a TLF and a MJ1200 with a gate valve that I'm going to set up this weekend. I'm going to try it out without the sponges

Wouldn't some pellets pass through the holes in the reactor without the sponges? I will try without anyway. Thanks for the info.

Wouldn't some pellets pass through the holes in the reactor without the sponges? I will try without anyway. Thanks for the info.

Some people have replaced the sponges with disks cut from gutter guard like stuff from HD.

Here's one option

Attachments

• IMG_2212.jpg
    IMG_2212.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 585
Last edited by a moderator:
Back