I just setup NP BioPellets on my system

I have been following that thread on RC for quite a while now and have been using the pellets for a few weeks. For over 2 years I have been dosing vodka and zeo products, and my nitrates and phosphates are presently fine, but I remembered what Eric Bornman said at the BRASS conference about carbon dosing adversly affecting bacteria populations on corals. This product eliminates that concern because the bacteria grow on the pellets, not in your display, corals, etc. So I have been slowly reducing the vodka and hope to not dose at all in the near future. Also if you shake the pellets up daily like you would zeolites, the mulm that comes off them is incredible and the corals feed off it. I'm hoping this aspect might help me in my quest to keeps some NPS corals. I have a strong feeling that this is going to be the next big thing in reefkeeping.

Thanks Paul for the added information on the BioPellets. I'll give my reactor a shake to release as it's referred to as "mulm". I'll hoping to see some good effects soon as a slight decline in my phosphates from a recent test has revealed.

What I don't understand is why you have to limit the amount of product used. If you put too much in, what is the adverse effect? It if there is no phosphate / nitrites, then it would just sit there, unused, essentially.

Leroy I was thinking of trying this myself, but we might as well use you as the sacrificial lamb.;) Let us know how you make out.
Derek

Leroy will have to update this frequently. Alot of us are waiting anxiously for the results. This could solve a major problem I am having if it works.

Hmmm...I will be interested to see the results as well. I am of the "KISS" method with my tank. I always just did carbon, phosphate, and water changes and had good results....Interested though

What I don't understand is why you have to limit the amount of product used. If you put too much in, what is the adverse effect? It if there is no phosphate / nitrites, then it would just sit there, unused, essentially.
The amount used varies on how much you feed and a bio load of how many fish are stocked in a tank so it depends on aquarium conditions and are strongly influenced by feeding regimes and livestock. Nitrate and phosphate levels will also vary from one tank to the next. I'm sure the recommended amount will work as required. The amount depleted will be from 3 to 6 months and if you have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates then it'll be maintained at a constant 0 with no algae blooms with a beneficial bacteria to the tank yet dosages may be increased or decreased with tests conducted to determine amounts required.

Leroy I was thinking of trying this myself, but we might as well use you as the sacrificial lamb.;) Let us know how you make out.
I have no problem being the "sacrificial lamb".....bahhh. It's much safer than vodka or sugar dosing which the tank is gradually introduced in small ml and increased maintained and if neglected the tank is bound for a crash. The BioPellets are introduced to the tank and stimulate local growth of bacteria in a filter compartment then slowly depleted. You maintain how you want but it's a good keep the bacteria in progress once established.

Leroy will have to update this frequently. Alot of us are waiting anxiously for the results. This could solve a major problem I am having if it works.
I'll have no problem with updates, good or bad. Yet I expect all good and will solve a few problems with my tank such as some bryopsis and some unsightly algae which is not a severe issue that a few snails couldn't handle.

Hmmm...I will be interested to see the results as well. I am of the "KISS" method with my tank. I always just did carbon, phosphate, and water changes and had good results....Interested though
If you're satisfied with the good results that's always worked for you in the past then by all means stay with it. But if the end results with BioPellets have offered a whole new alternative in maintaining a healthy tank then it'll be a new break through to make this hobby more enjoyable. I'd suggest the regular water changes, carbon usage and GFO be maintained and don't expect the BioPellets to be a miracle cure and slack off on work required as usual.

I got my NP BioPellets at Aqua Addicts in Salem NH, a BRS sponsor.So the next time you're in the area stop in and ask Patrick for your bag, 500ml or 1000ml.

I would be curious to hear what some of the other experienced reefers in here think like Greg hiller, Randy Holmes-farley, etc... Hopefully they chime in if they think this is a worthwile product to try or not.

If not, Leroy and Sherri can keep us updated.
You'll find Randy's comments on the RC forum post from the link above.

So I got mine going yesterday, couldn't be simpler. The reactor I got is a ViaAqua 3030 as I decided to use 2 liters of the biopellets. The reactor was about $80 and the pellets about $200 and I got it all from Premium Aquatics. My measurable phosphates and nitrates are zero but my purpose is the elimination of nuisance algae and to achieve increased color in my corals. So my results will be visible versus a test number. I also want to feed a bit more and will be adding fish to the system. I am also thinking that that beautiful 130 that I won at auction is going to be a FOWLR so think: nitrate factory.

Sherri, we're both starting at the same time so our test results will be the same and the elimination of unwanted algae will be pretty much equal. The amount that our system will use will differ due to water volume. Setting it up was very easy. No rinsing, no regulated flow or drip. Make sure you follow these guidelines:
Placing the outlet of the pellet filter in front of a protein skimmer, to limit the amount of bacteria entering the system. This has the additional benefit of increased gas exchange (CO2-removal and O2-addition). The pellets should never be used without sufficient aeration, as this may lead to low oxygen and pH levels, especially during night time. Proper aeration can be established with air pumps and protein skimmers.

Both of my display tanks empty into a 55g tank in the basement. This tank feeds my skimmer and it is on this tank that I have put the reactor. I will take pictures of the set up and the algae in my tank today or tomorrow.

Just a quick update on the progress of the NP BioPellets. Although it's been a little over a week I'm getting good results in a recent test. I did my usual water change, 45 gal change to 215 gal, changed out my GFO and added a media bag of charcoal within the sump. My nitrates are at 3 and my phosphates are at .03. I have a small amount of hair algae which I expect to gone soon with the introduction of a Sea Hare that I recently bought and will be returned when done. A bryopsis outbreak which is not unusual and was expecting with a 6 month old tank is reseeding as I increased my Mag up to 1500. Other than that the fish and corals are doing fine with no problems.

Patrick at Aqua Addicts just got a new shipment of NP BioPellets and I've been asked by a few hobbyists that stopped by within the week if I'm going to Salem to pick up a bag. I bought an extra for my stash just in case they may get hard to get. After all the do come from Finland. Patrick set up a BRS media reactor in the back room if you'd like to see one in operation. That's it for now with more later.

So here's a few pics -- first the algae I want to get rid of in both tanks and then the set-up. As I mentioned my measurable phosphates and nitrates are zero so my progress will be visual. Hence the pics!

Attachments

• CyanoHA.jpg
    CyanoHA.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,393
  • Fu2.jpg
    Fu2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,389
  • Bio1.jpg
    Bio1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,392
  • Bio2.jpg
    Bio2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,391
L@@ks good there Sherri. Once it kicks and working the algae will slowly disappear. Give it time.....humph, there's that patience thing again.

I've been thinking about setting up a reactor with the pellets. I'm following this thread to see how you guys are doing for results.

I currently run three reactors full of carbon and one with GFO. I also run mag pellets in my CA reactor. So why not add another reactor? Cripes I have six of them running now. LOL!!

Being as pricey as the product is is the reason I was waiting to see how everyone is doing with it and if the results are worth the investment. Leroy we should chat on the phone one of these days and you can fill me in on your progress.

Maybe I'll go see Patrick this week and grab up a bag. :eek:

is it really that expensive considering how pricey GFO is? I am on the fence too.
Ray couldnt you just take the carbon out of one of your reactors and replace it? (this is what I am thinking)

is it really that expensive considering how pricey GFO is? I am on the fence too.
Ray couldnt you just take the carbon out of one of your reactors and replace it? (this is what I am thinking)

I was thinking the same thing. I have this huge reactor that is a second chamber for an MRC CA reactor. I may fill that with carbon (will hold about 2-3 lbs of media) and use my dual BRS reactor for the NP Pellets.

I emailed Patrick and asked him to hold me a bag. May as well give it a shot. My nitrates usually average around 10 so let's see if I can get that down to an undetectable level. My PO4 averages about 0.01 so that's a non-issue.

Back