I'm leaving the hobby. I'm positive this time. This may be my last post.

my tank is a marineland 70 cube 30x30x19..although not a true cube in height its still a box. A 24x24x24 should be 60g i think cuz my old oceanic was 24x18x24 and that was 45g. Either way those are perfect tanks in my opinion not too big but enough water volume with the sump to be stable and have space for plenty of fish and livestock. If i ever clean up the 240 cube you will inherit the 70 cube! It can be a wedding present..lol.

Last edited:
Mike, that's beyond too kind of a statement. Lol. I could never accept such a gift, however if and when you need help restoring your "dunk tank" as I call it, i'll gladly lend a hand.
Amusingly enough, I found a write-up on restoring an acrylic tank and removing scratches which was done on a 250g similar to your 240g. Go figure, lol. It's a good write-up to use for reference IMO.

If you want to buff by hand there's this: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.c...03csegb&ref=3312&subref=AA&CAWELAID=529141993

But i'm still looking around for a kit like the EverClear Acrylic Buffer kit that was discontinued a few years ago because that thing got great reviews and hooked up to an orbital buffer which is what you'd need for a tank that large unless you wanna break a wrist or two.

Last edited:
Can we please close or delete this thread someone? The title name depresses me now, lol. Since I am no longer leaving the hobby. Well I am, but i'm not... Lol.

We generally don't close or delete threads unless they violate the user agreement.

Last edited:
the thread title should be changed to... "might not leave the hobby, I'm really not sure, and this definately wont be my last post" .... lol :)

I think this just became a contest, who can come up with the best re-title :)

The dunk tank...lol...i like that Adam. Thanks for the link but yea im leaning toward finding a way to mechanically buff this beast..i got enough carpel tunnel(sp?) already. Its gonna be a while before i even attemp to polish or set that thing up way too much going on right now. But when i do any help will be appreciated. Also glad to see you aint goin nowhere..lets retitle the thread " tired of my 29g...need an upgrade!!"

How about "I'm leaving the hobby [out of my bank account and into my parents] I'm never positive about anything [Like my fiance, but shhh], and I will never have a last post"? Lol

And I also agree with Mike, i'm tired of this damn 29g and need an upgrade indeed. I gotta talk to the lady tonight and see if setting up a tank in her bedroom is feasible.

I had my tank in my bed room for about 4 years.. Once I moved the tank outside of my bed room, I FEEL GREAT.. no more noises, the room is dry and not humid. My guitar's string are rusted from the salt water. I don't have to hear the fan during the summer when I am in my room. anyway, the point is that having a tank in the room isn't for everyone... as for me, I will never put another tank in my room again.

How about "I'm leaving the hobby [out of my bank account and into my parents] I'm never positive about anything [Like my fiance, but shhh], and I will never have a last post"? Lol

And I also agree with Mike, i'm tired of this damn 29g and need an upgrade indeed. I gotta talk to the lady tonight and see if setting up a tank in her bedroom is feasible.

I tried to make that the thread title, but it seems that titles are limited to 50 characters

Hah go figure John K. Why not just change the thread title to "Pulling through another hard time in the hobby."

And that's funny Bao, you sound exactly like me! My skimmer is loud, the fan is loud, the light is bright, and just like you, my guitars suffer from the salt and humidity. Luckily I have hardshell cases for both my Ibanez IC400 and my RG220B, but my acrylic B.C. Rich Warlock is all browned up on the strings and screws =\

!!!WOW!!! You guys want a story that will make you all smile? I'm home tonight, and I just so happen to look over at my tank for some reason and I noticed something weird looking in there. Like this colorful thing over near a cave. I walk on over to it, and what do I see? Can you give a guess? MY FREAKIN' MANDARIN! And he was ALIVE none the less! I tried feeding him frozen brine thru a turkey baster but he didn't seem to accept it cuz my a-hole cleaner shrimp landed on him. Guess distracting him with flakes didn't work. He swam back under a rock, but atleast I know where he is now and that he is alive. So next step is to REALLY get this ball rolling on building a refugium so I can put him in there and feed him that way. In fact, it's a 10g fuge so he just might live in there by himself. Why not. Lol.

Mine will disappear for a couple of days too. I usually don't count anything as dead until I find some sign of a body. Glad to hear that your mandarin came out of hiding.

Well it had been 5 days today, and I had found a piece of a dead gunk stuck to my powerhead a few days back and figured it was a piece of the mandarin. However, looking today there just so happens to be a few pieces of shrimp molt and also a newly empty nassarius shell. So i'm thinking maybe a chunk of gunk of snail and shrimp mixed together and got stuck in my powerhead and me having figured the mandarin was gone mistook it for that? Who knows, don't care, I have my mandarin, i'm happy. Lol.

And I too very much like the new thread title. Mucho gracias to John for that one. :)

Just got home with some indo-pacific black araga-live sand for the 10g and that's all settling then onto the next process of setting up the mandarin's new home in it. Got the powerhead and heater hooked up for it. Once the sand settles i'll retest water params, acclimate him into there, then buy a 2x24w T5 fixture for the tank. Might be a high wattage for a fish only tank, but im bound to plop in a frag rack eventually knowing me.

Did I mention how extremely happy of a night i'm having??? Gotta buy the lil guy his baby food jar too.

A 2x24W T5 worked well for me ;), the only thing I didn't like is that they don't have fans so they get pretty hot.

BTW glad to hear your not leaving!

Well the 2x24 T5 is $40 and the Par38 LED is $65. It's a tough call, lol. Both will need fans realistically on a 10g cuz in my bedroom a 10g is gonna get mighty warm with or without fans. My temp gauge has been around 80-84 with no lights on the tank. But nothing a quick trip to RadioShack can't fix i'm sure.

Back