In tank flow?

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
Well, I tested my MP40w's, and they are both dead. One stalls, even with a new wetside and the spacer moved, the other doesn't even light up with a new power supply.

Both out of warranty, very expensive paperweights. :(

I have my modded Tunze nanostreams, and other than clips, they have been pretty solid

I also have some maxi-mods, but 2 of the maxijet 1200's croaked within a week of each other. After buying a new MJ1200, magnet and maximod, one of those costs almost $100 bucks now.

What are you all using for in-tank flow, and why? My 180 should be in build mode inside of 2 weeks....

My 40 breeder I am running a Koralia 750 and a Koralia 1050 as well as a portion of my return which is split to two tanks. Went this way cause it was cheap. Will probably eventually take out the 750 and add a 1400 or at leats another 1050, just not enough flow in the tank.

On my 140 I have the rest of the return which is a Little Giant 4MDQX-SC and run a reef flow Dart on an oceans motions 4-way. Like the look but again would like probably twice the flow.

Dang Jay! You just can't win ;)

I have an MP40 for the random flow and a 6045 for added flow in my DT.

Running just one MP40 on my 40g frag tank.

Last edited:
Older 6100 Tunze's got them back when Marco rocks was a LFS store called fishy business. That was a few years ago.

I'm on the fence about having the MP40's repaired, but they sure did make some flow.

I've got 2 maximods and 2 modded nanostream 6025's in my 75 holding tank, about 5,000 in flow, plus 600 from the return
I've got 3 Tunze 6025's in one 40g breeder tank, with softies and LPS
I've got a mod 6025 and 2 maximods in the other 40g holding tank.

Good surface agitation on all tanks.

The question is....what do I do with the 180 display when it goes up. The easy answer would be to fix the MP40's, and do a couple of nanostreams in the corners for any dead spots.
I will be pushing about 1000GPH through the tank to the basement fish room, if all goes well. The system downstairs will be consolidated from 3 coral tanks to one, with most corals in holding going to the 180 - and I haven't decided if I am keeping the 75 or if a 40 breeder will do it.

Problem with the MP 40s is you are not going to want them on the end of the tank as they would look pretty bad. On the back wall in your tank it is only 2' to the front glass the MP 40s are going to be limited greatly in that setup. With a return with penductors and two good circulation pumps you should have no dead spots in your tank but the MP 40s are not going to do that for you unless you mount them on the end of the tank

I see far too many post about the Vortex's with know issues. Wonder if run a closed loop with a Reeflo snapper or dart wouldn't make sense? On the other hand my Tunze's never drawn more than 44watts together

I have 2 mp40es on the end of my tank opposite the return and overflow couldn't be happier

Before I moved I had them opposite each other and I feel it created dead spots behind the rocks

Problem with the MP 40s is you are not going to want them on the end of the tank as they would look pretty bad. On the back wall in your tank it is only 2' to the front glass the MP 40s are going to be limited greatly in that setup. With a return with penductors and two good circulation pumps you should have no dead spots in your tank but the MP 40s are not going to do that for you unless you mount them on the end of the tank

I see far too many post about the Vortex's with know issues. Wonder if run a closed loop with a Reeflo snapper or dart wouldn't make sense? On the other hand my Tunze's never drawn more than 44watts together

argh.....and the watts do count. I already have the penductors. Maybe 1 MP40 mounted on the back glass low, 2 penductors, and then nanostreams in the corners? If you shorten the nanostream cone, you get very wide flow, and they still push out over 1000gph - on 8 watts

I have 2 70 gallon tanks and both run with just one tunze nano steam 6045 I think was the model.Both my tanks a mainly softy dominated and they seem to like the lower flow. The pumps had problems with the clips when i first bought them but they sent new ones and they have been running solid for 3 plus years now.

Depending on the size of your tank, I would definitely recommend the Korallia 1400 Evolutions. I have 2 in my 90 reef and they provide the perfect amount of flow for all of my fish and corals.

Good Luck!

He has a 180 "stubby" (5') Center linear over flow

Is isn't just about gph, depending on his aqua scaping placement of the pumps will be very important.

Too bad the vortex have never really come through. I like the flow patterns of the Vortex but they have never appealed to me any more than that. They are very limited on placement and have been plagued with problems.

But for you Jay I might look at stray voltage or some type of short, you have had too many premature pump failures. Something is just not right. Might even be corrosion in the power strip or outlet?

Last edited:
Back