In your opinion, what are the top 3 HOB Protein Skimmers?

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
Without money being a factor in this, what, in your opinion, are the top 3 hang-on-back protein skimmers to date?

I'm looking for one that will operate properly on a 29g, so I know many that are rated 50-75 gallons don't run properly on a 29g because the tank doesn't have enough organic compounds to keep a steady foam head at the collection cup.

I have an Eshopps PSK-75H laying around but I have my personal hatred for the company.

Whatever you guys suggest keep in mind the main things I am looking for:
Preferably As Quiet As Possible
No Bubbles Returning To Tank
Skimmer Pump Must Be Outside Of Tank

I really like the HOT Reef Octopus' with the surface skimmer option but they're for 100+ gallons unfortunately.

I saw a CPR that looked decent, but I have had issues in the past with CPR and their poor operation, extremely loud noises, and need for constant adjustment.

Really? I always heard they need constant adjustment and cleaning and are very sensitive to water levels and are known to clog, be noisey, and overflow? Atleast I thought it was the Aqua C Remora I read that about... Anything but Eshopps. Lol. If only I had a sump... -_- But there's no room unless I custom build a stand.

I've hear that the octopus hail skimmer are very good. I've never tried them though.

I'm looking for one that will operate properly on a 29g, so I know many that are rated 50-75 gallons don't run properly on a 29g because the tank doesn't have enough organic compounds to keep a steady foam head at the collection cup.
Hogwash, at least with HOB skimmers. Don't worry too much about skimmer ratings when you are looking at HOB skimmers. By nature, they are all grossly over-rated. It is very hard to design a good one and this is why most of them suck, terribly. I will agree though that sometimes this can be experienced with skimmers designed for sump use.

The Cadillac HOB skimmer has to be the Deltec MCE600. However, this comes with a Cadillac price of $550 as well. imisky on RC has been running one on his 30 gallon, jam packed full of acros, since late 2007 and his skimmate is always quite lovely. His tank is actually only 22.5 gallons but his hang on refugium increases the volume closer to 30G.

If you don't want to buy a Cadillac, then I would consider one of the Octopus HOB's with the BH-800SBS being my first choice.

I used the octopus BH-1000 on my 34g solana, external pump with a buble plate. never had micro bubbles and was running an sps dominant reef.
1+ what JT said the bh-1000 is reccomended up to 75 gal but ran flawlessly on my system.

Personally Deltec is way overrated for what they are, and today they are just out done
in todays market.

AquaC is a nice HOB skimmer for a small tanks, but lacks air control. That in itself
knocks them a down a few notches and I am a big AquaC EV fan.

The octopus skimmers are nice and come with surface skimmers to make life easier.
The also work like a regular skimmer so they are your best bet.

As far as ratings, I find the HOB rating to be on the underrated side as a heavy bioload will push it to the max.

I'm thinking i'm going to go with an Octopus. Always been a fan. The 1000 has a surface skimmer? I can't find a view of the front for some reason.

Anyone know anything about these?: http://www.aquacave.com/super-reef-octopus-brlx-1000s-hang-on-backbr-protein-skimmer-2993.html

EDIT: Wow we posted those at the same time. Yes Delta that's the one i'm considering. Opinions? IDK anyone who's ever ran that one before, and I can't tell how the water returns to the tank but it looks like it would work very well. And I know how low-maintenance Octopus is known to be. Long as it's not uber loud and the needle impellar doesn't wear out every month like Eshopps does.

MAN I wish it wasn't obnoxious orange though... Lol. That will do a number to take away from the beauty of my tank, but if the performance is worth it then oh well. Is there a such thing as "reef safe spray paint"? Lol.

Last edited:
I am currently using a Reef Octopus BH 300F skimmer on my 120
it works great the only complaint I have is it is a pain in the butt to
clean. both pumps are inside the box and a nightmare to get out to clean

Great point. How DO you go about removing the pumps to clean them? Just a major disassembly? Or is it non-servicable?

Another option might be the new AquaMaxx HOB skimmer. AquaMaxx is the new US Importer of JNS Skimmers. Previously, Warner Marine had an exclusive deal with JNS but WM has temporarily decided to get out of the hardware business. This is why many AquaMaxx products resemble older WM models.

There are several things I like about this HOB model. First, the entire internal assembly slides out of the box for easy cleaning and reassembly. Secondly, the waste cup has a drain fitting. The one downside is that it doesn't have a surface skimmer. However it isn't a big deal for me as I always have a lot of surface agitation to keep any slicks from forming.

I am considering one for my 17 gallon system and I think the HOB-1 model would work fine on systems up to 40 gallons but I wouldn't push it to their advertised ratings of 50 to 75 gallons.

Great point. How DO you go about removing the pumps to clean them? Just a major disassembly? Or is it non-servicable?
its a major disassemble. the main problem is there is no room to get your hands in to take it apart or to reassemble.it takes me well over an hour to get it done

hands down BEST hang on tank protein skimmer that i've seen is the ATB multi-use cone... it will run circles around the aqua C.. and anything else that i've seen mentioned here as well.

The new line of deltec skimmers are superb, but i don't know if they make anything that is hang on tank or not...

Back