Is it safe to drink RODI water with color changing DI resin?

reefsmurf

Non-member
Hi guys,
I've searched the intertubes and reef sites and couldn't find anything definitive. While we know RODI is safe to drink, there hasn't been much talk of whether the dyes used in the color changing DI resins are actually food-grade/safe. Any chemists or knowledgable folk know the answer to this?

<-sad sap with color changing DI resin bucket (anybody want to swap :))

Yeah I thought it was RO water is cool to drink, but not RODI because it has literally no trace minerals in it. But I'm not sure if that's merely a taste thing or if it has some health-related aspect to it.

IS DRINKING DI WATER OK?

When it comes to drinking DI water, there are many different thoughts on it. First thing you should understand is that DI water has all minerals removed. If ALL you were drinking was DI water and you did not eat anything, it would be harmful. Cells in the body need electrolytes (salts) to stay active and produce more cells. So, if you are not replenishing the electrolytes, the cells could not survive. To better illustrate this: Imagine that you have two batteries. One batter is connected to a glass container filled with tap water, the other is filled with DI water. Tap water is able to conduct the electricity through it because of the minerals. DI water cannot because the lack of minerals. It is only when you add salt to the DI water, that you would be able to conduct electricity.

DI water does not necessarily harm your health unless it is the only thing that you are putting into your body. We would not recommend drinking it because of its flat taste and because DI resins are not made of food grade approved material.

source: http://spectrapure.com/faq_p0.htm#drink-DI

Yeah I thought it was RO water is cool to drink, but not RODI because it has literally no trace minerals in it. But I'm not sure if that's merely a taste thing or if it has some health-related aspect to it.

I remember hearing this as well. Don't think it's life threatening just not as healthy as tap water; could be wrong :confused:

But on the origional topic I would think the RO/DI with color changing resin is as safe to drink as the non color changing resin. Think about it this way, if it added anything back into the water a TDS meter should pick up a reading of more than zero. 0 TDS water is 100% pure H2O, nothing else.

Also I know I wouldn't want to use any water made from a color changing resin in my tank if it leached anything back into the water. It's also doubtful there would be a market for the color changing DI resin if it leached back IMO...

yes our bodys need the minerals in tap water and with ours tank after we use the rodi were adding trace minerals back in to the water from are salt mixs we use...like stated above it probley wont hurt you but its not a good idea to drink rodi water instead of tap or bottled

My understanding is that drinking DI water can be harmful because, as someone said above, it is pure H2O... normally the water we drink has dissolved ions and minerals and the cells in your body need to maintain a certain balance of those ions between the inside and outside of each cell.

If you drink DI water, your cells will expel ions via osmosis to create equilibrium between the cell and the artificially ion-depleted surrounding fluid. (RO water doesn't remove enough to cause a problem, but DI water does, I believe. When we add synthetic salt mix to DI water, we are adding back a controlled concentration of ions)

Again, this is just my understanding and I'm limited to trying to explain it in prose... perhaps someone with more of a scientific background can expand.

Last edited:
The myth that DI is bad for you has been debunked many times by the esteemed chemists of various forums. To paraphase one of the previous threads on this, the very fact that your saliva touches the water immediately makes DI-water non-DI because of all the stuff that's in your saliva. Some companies like Vitamin Water even use RODI water and print it on their label.

Back to the original topic please :)

afboundguy: TDS meters cannot really measure the total quality of your water. The way I understand it, it is only doing a conductivity test. For detailed info see: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rhf/feature/index.php

Per Randy:
"TDS meters will only detect mobile charged ions. They will not detect any neutral (uncharged) compounds. Such compounds include sugar, alcohol, many organics (including many pesticides and their residues), and unionized forms of silica, ammonia, and carbon dioxide. These meters also do not detect macroscopic particulates, as those are too large to move in the electric fields applied. So if you see "rusty" looking water from iron oxide particulates, that won't be measured. Neither will anything else that makes the water look cloudy. Bacteria and viruses also won't be detected."

Back