is my water too clean?

beckisguy73

Non-member
Can my water be too clean for zoas? I have had this tank running since mid May and had zoos in it before and everything was fine... I dont have any details on when it all went bad or a date but it has been a while.. As it stands now I have some rainbow acans that I got from BRASS and a rock full of rics also an LTA and they are all doing great!!! I'm even getting a baby growing on the Acan but I can't get zoos to grow in it... Every time I put some in they don't open up..

As for the tank it's a 90G, basement 75G sump, about 175LBS LR in the sump, another 50lbs or more in the tank Gen-x 40 return, Red sea berlin skimmer good for up to 400G and I have a 8x54w T-5 light fixture.. I had the water tested multiple times bye various sponsors of BRS and was told the water is perfect and they see no problems and I should be ok.. I bought another frag of zoos and same problem they would not open. 3 days and not a single one opened so I took them out put them into the Bicube and a day later they opened.

Any Ideas on what I could test to find out whats going on? I don't dose nothing just water changes.. I do nothing different in the 90 then I do in the Biocube29.

Thanks,
Mike

When you say the water is 'perfect', but you don't dose anything, what is your alk, mg, ca, nitrates, and SG?

Zoas definitely prefer a less 'perfect' water.

There are also zoa eating nudi's, or maybe the light is too much.

If you are adding rare/delicate zoas (purple hornets or the like) they may just not survive.

nothing rare. As far as what all my levels are I'm not sure as they never told me the levels they just said the water is perfect.. The last time I had it tested at Jays the kid that works the weekend with the long hair told me it was perfect. He said he tested everything but Mag

its true imo they hate perfct water....unless you add fuel and strodemsomting/msomething/iodine i shot all at my zoas and they explode...

nothing rare. As far as what all my levels are I'm not sure as they never told me the levels they just said the water is perfect.. The last time I had it tested at Jays the kid that works the weekend with the long hair told me it was perfect. He said he tested everything but Mag

You should get yourself the basic test kits.
Mostly alk,calcium and magnesium.
There's nothing like testing the water yourself.
And knowing all is well.

Bob is dead on. Test the water yourself or at the very least ask for the levels for each.

as far as the zoas...Ive never experienced too clean water for zoas. where are the zoas being located in the tank? maybe you giving them too much light? too much flow? usually zoas like moderate to lower light and flow.

all my zoas and palys are on the bottom of my tank under 250MH and they are all growing and doing fine.

my tanks have medium flow, which is about 2500GPH in my 72 and about 4000GPH in my 92

I do have a full test kit.. Every time I check it I dont see a problem. I dont recall the levels the last time I tested but I will test tomorrow and post them. It dont usually matter where I put the zoas they just stay closed.. At one time they did thrive and something changed in the water and now they just dont do well.. I'mjust trying to figure it out and fix whats wrong... I'm affraid to set up my 125 in place of the 90G. If I can't figure it out I will just give up and shut them down.. I also seem to have an issue with diatoms.. I had this problem once before and I increased the flow then they went away but they are back again..

I do have a full test kit.. Every time I check it I dont see a problem. I dont recall the levels the last time I tested but I will test tomorrow and post them. It dont usually matter where I put the zoas they just stay closed.. At one time they did thrive and something changed in the water and now they just dont do well.. I'mjust trying to figure it out and fix whats wrong... I'm affraid to set up my 125 in place of the 90G. If I can't figure it out I will just give up and shut them down.. I also seem to have an issue with diatoms.. I had this problem once before and I increased the flow then they went away but they are back again..

Don't give up. The longer the tank is set up, the better it will get. I am having a cyano problem now but I know it will pass and my quality will be good. Once your tank is set, you'll be able to sit back and enjoy it. Don't get frustrated.

Mike,It sounds like your tank is still in a cycle of sorts....diatoms and all,check for ammonia.Don't give up hope and wait it out.IMO one of the best and simplest things for any tank.....carbon!Do you use it?

Back