Is this rotting mushrooms and if so how should I handle this

srezack

Non-member
image.jpg

Woke up to this today. We are trying everything to not lose the whole tank but everything is still going bad. This is where my mushroom colony use to be but looks rotten now. How do I remove this without it spredding or will te cleanup crew clean it up? If anyone can text me that would be amazing. My cell
Number 207-703-3812 calling normally doesn't work in my area

I wasn't sure if vacuum or full removal of this awesome rock. If it's full removal then everyhing else on the rock would die

I would pull that whole rock and anything else that has that brown stuff on it. Do a freshwater dip to them with ro/di water. Keep them in the water for 30sec and get as much of that brown stuff off

Yes the freshwater dip will kill what ever that is. And its better to leave it in the fresh water rather than letting it rot in the tank and cause more issues

After the dip and the rinse yes try it. If it comes back bring it outside and boil it in a pot that you can just through away after

If it's not too late, I would siphon that stuff off before lifting the rock from the water. If it spreads throughout the tank, you're going to lose more corals. It kind of looks like a really bad case of brown jelly disease.

Ok well we siphoned out what we could. Would chemiclean help with this after we clean out what we could by hand and with siphon

I've never used chemiclean, but I think it's more for cyano. If it is brown jelly, you just have to siphon it out everytime you see it on your softies. Dipping your corals will also help. It's a bad bacteria, and I don't know of a tank treatment that stops it.

Yes the freshwater dip will kill what ever that is. And its better to leave it in the fresh water rather than letting it rot in the tank and cause more issues
Not necessarily. A freshwater dip probably won't do anything if it is a bacteria growing on the coral. and it might not even kill the mushrooms.

Back