Kalkwasser for newbies

mano1192

Desert reefin!
If your a newbie like me you will find this link very informational.... http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html
I currently do not add this supplement to my tank, but have been thinking I should start. As with anything I would consider putting in my tank I want to inform myself as much as possible about it and this link helped alot. I hope it helps out another newb like me :cool:
Sorry mods if this is in wrong thread

You're in just the right spot.

Newbies often have questions about Kalkwasser, so I think this is great to post an article and start a thread where remaining questions can be answered. I think dripping saturated Kalk water for your evaporation top-off is an excellent choice for helping to supplement Ca and Alk. It has a few additional benefits that make it a no-brainer IMO. It slightly raises pH which I've noticed helps clear up algae, and some evidence indicates that it may help precipitate phosphate from your tank water, and from your top-off water.

You should, of course, regularly test Ca and Alk (and probably pH) if you dose Kalk though. You can over dose it in a lightly loaded tank, and this could cause a precipitation event. So as with any additive, test regularly for everything you supplement.

Nate

Great info... keeping it simple makes everything easier.. Being a newbie like I am, everything can be overwhelming. I haven't started a Reef yet but since my 37 gal FW leeked all over my living room floor leaving just enough water so my handful of fish were still alive (Now they are in a smaller Tank) I re-seal the 37 gal and I am going to start a reef tank. I have been reading and viewing everyone's postings and picture on this site and any link to other sites has giving me a real passion to develope my own. I am in complete awe of all the beauty.
If anyone has any pointers on how to start one, what the basic needs to start a tank, etc. Any advise and help would be great. I have been reading constantly but knowing that I am a hands on type of person, having others share how they started their first tank and if someone lives close to me, maybe I can come over and look at their set up to see how things really look in person. Take mental notes.. No coping rights infringments.. I promise!!!
Thanks
Melana

Two excellent discusions on kalk. I will be starting to drip as soon as I can pick up all materials. After one week of my initial setup (450 calcium) it has dropped to 325 to 360, and I cannot get it back up with turbo calcium. I have only been able to maintain the last number.

All other parameters are in check, alk 4 meq/l, ph 8.0-8.2, temp 79.5-81, sal 1.025, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia all @ or below .25.

tank is doing good, but I'm sure my sps could do a lot better with more calcium.

These articles give me more confidence in not screwing up dripping kalk.

Thanks guys.

Back