Kent Phytoplex?

Bob P.

Non-member
Was wondering if anyone uses this (Phytoplex) for there sps? Recommend or not recommend. If you recommend, how much do you put in, and how often.

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you've got an animal that definitely consumes phytoplankton - like a baby clam.
Mosts SPS consume zooplankton or bigger sized food particles.
If you don't have anything eating the phyto, you're just dumping in a banquet for algae.

Kent phytoplex is pretty much junk. If you are going to feed phyto use DT's or Phytofeast (what I use). Here's something that might help off their site:
PytoFeast Website said:
Do I need to worry about bacteria or algae blooms if I use Phyto-Feast??

Typically No. Bacteria blooms would be caused if a significant amount of biomass remained in your system for several days. Your protein skimmer will quickly remove any excess Phyto-Feast? from your system.

Will soft corals and clams, and other bivalve shellfish feed on Phyto-Feast? products?

Soft Corals ~80% of their diet

Hard Corals ~20% of their diet

Tridacnid Clams
Juveniles ~80% of their diet
Adults ~20% of their diet

Sponges YES

Ascidians YES

Rotifers YES

Copepods YES

Cleaner Shrimp
Juveniles - YES

Worms (feather dusters) YES

Not recommended, I prefer DT's but don't even like that very much. Seems to cause excess algae to grow and I haven't noticed a positive change in the corals.

Just to add to my post above. I dose about 1-2 tablespoons every couple days into my 125 and have no issues. But I do have clams, molusks, and sponges. If you have sponges that you like I would dose. I had some bright blue and orange sponges on my rock that started to wither away until I started dosing again. According to the people that sell the Tiggerpods (Aquafarms?) dosing phyto will also help your pod population grow faster.

No, just have some acro's, stags, and some Monti. digi's and caps. All under 2-250w MH's, w/2 T-5's. No clams, sponges etc..

I don't dose any phyto for SPS. Couldn't find enough reliable evidence to show that it was benificial to feed them. I have dosed in the past and all that grew was algae blooms....

stocker said:
No, just have some acro's, stags, and some Monti. digi's and caps. All under 2-250w MH's, w/2 T-5's. No clams, sponges etc..
Then I would recommend against it. You dont have anything that would really benifit from in IMO.

Back