Laser pointer for aiptasia

badlands25

Non-member
Anyone use one and if so which one. I've been looking into this as aiptasia x hasn't been enough to get all the little buggers!

I have been having an issue with it, and never had in the past. I used a laser one time, and really didnt like using it. i was afraid i was going to kill/hurt something or myself. LOL I just ordered another bottle of Aiptasia X , and some peppermint shrimp

Good Luck
Derek

Buy peppermints and if they don't eat it replace them. Once you find a muncher, treat it like gold! Best way

I had 3 that took care of my aiptasia within a week. Had to pull them afterwards since they were trying to eat my rock anemone!

I tried buying a green laser pointer but it wasn't strong enough, next spectrum up to kill is the blue (1w) and those cost minimum $200. They do kill but if you don't shoot the aiptasia from the top of your tank into the water, the glass may refract the laser into your corals or worse your fish and hurt them.

Have had 3 different peppermints in the past. None have ever eaten aiptasia! I do have pickling lime. I wonder if I make a super thick paste if that would work? It seems every time I use aiptasia x I get 50 more aiptasia in a week lol

They tend not to eat big aiptasia, but will eat the small ones starting out, so you get "no more". Heat up some water and kalkwasser and inject it hot into the aiptasia with a needle, they will dissolve before your eyes.

I have a big 2watt laser. It really makes things crackle. I bought a lens for it from thorlabs to focus the beam at about a foot away. The lens that came with it was about a one inch focus which didn't work for things farther back.

I never had aptasia in my tanks but I used it on some pulsing zenia and zoas to some effect. The US gov. banned import of the high powered ones so now you have to get ones that are already imported on eBay.

Kalk paste and peppermint shrimps are much cheaper. But huge lasers really cool, but probably less effective since you can't shoot what you can't see.

Back