Learn from my mistakes

ChrisPchef

BRS Member
In 2018, right after finishing school, I set up my nano tank and dove back into the hobby after a 4-year hiatus. Unfortunately, my first attempt with sexy shrimp didn't go well, likely due to my tank's water parameters.

Fast forward to this week, I decided to give it another shot and bought 5 sexy shrimp, always finding them intriguing. With my nano tank running smoothly for 6 years now, I assumed everything was stable. Following advice from reefcleaners' compatibility chart, I went ahead and ordered them, opting for a group of odd numbers for better results. Anticipation built as I awaited their arrival.

Excitedly, the shrimp arrived in good health, and I carefully acclimated them to their new home. Watching them settle in was a joy, until my six line wrasse unexpectedly snatched one of them. Shocked, I witnessed the wrasse devour 4 out of the 5 shrimp. Desperate to save the last one, I tried to move it to a new 15-gallon tank, only to have it meet the same fate by the aggressive wrasse. It turned out to be an expensive $75 feast for the wrasse after a week of waiting.

Reflecting on the incident, I realized the compatibility chart failed to mention fish, leading to this unfortunate outcome. Lesson learned - always do thorough research before adding new tank inhabitants to avoid such incidents.

It was rough! Hindsight is always 20/20. After seeing it for myself I looked it up and everyone recommended against keeping the two together. This is by no means a post bashing reefcleaners but silly me assumed a nano fish that wasn’t compatible with the sexy shrimp would be on that compatibility chart. I was wrong lol. I should have done more research on the fish I have and the shrimp.

A perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Yeah, I only had them with my royal gramma, clown, and shrimp goby. I probably won’t be getting any of them for a while though.

Yeah, I only had them with my royal gramma, clown, and shrimp goby. I probably won’t be getting any of them for a while though.
I hear ya. I don’t think I’ll be getting anymore any time soon lol
I don’t see them in local fish stores like I used to. Somewhere down the line I may add some to the 15 gallon.

I have a Melanaruss wrasse…..not a nice fish, I threw in a few shrimp….next thing ya know out comes my wrasse with belly the size of a golf ball! 30 seconds of joy…lol

I have a Melanaruss wrasse…..not a nice fish, I threw in a few shrimp….next thing ya know out comes my wrasse with belly the size of a golf ball! 30 seconds of joy…lol
Mann that’s exactly what happened to me as well. My wrasse never really swam in that corner of the tank. Now every time I look in there that’s where he’s hanging out. He most definitely enjoyed his 5 course meal.

I saw him eat the one for sure and his stomaches huge. I keep checking hoping there’s a few alive hiding out but I think there’s a slim chance that’s the case.

Wonder if it has to do with the size of the tank, have had 2 sexy shrimp for the last year still going strong and my 6line left them alone for 8 months until I sold the 6line

Mann that’s exactly what happened to me as well. My wrasse never really swam in that corner of the tank. Now every time I look in there that’s where he’s hanging out. He most definitely enjoyed his 5 course meal.
If you get peppermint shrimp, always buy 3 or more, cuz they’ll be able to protect each other by stinging the attacker….freaking wrasses….love hate relationship!..lol

Wonder if it has to do with the size of the tank, have had 2 sexy shrimp for the last year still going strong and my 6line left them alone for 8 months until I sold the 6line
Dude I’m saying! My friend is on that same boat his just hide in the anemone lol
The second I saw it happen I let out an audible ohhh nooo! Then looked it up and realized what I was in for ):

I've been there. I learned to only introduce large shrimp and only at night so that they get a chance to establish hiding spots before the wrasses came out. Sorry about your shrimp, but hey you treated that wrasse to a great meal!

Back