LFS or Online, Where do you get your livestock and/or coral?

NHman

Non-member
To date I have purchased all of my livestock and coral from my LFS. Service has been A+ and pricing, in my opinion, very competitive. However I have noticed some of the online sites, specifically The Marine Depot, to have very unique items. Perhaps the items, which are not commonly available at my LFS, could be ordered. Should I take a chance and order online or stay 100% with the LFS? What have others done?

I'll admit that I am new to this hobby and don't know all of the ins and outs. I still will be working with my LFS but it is tempting to purchase one or two items from an online service.

Regards,
NHman

I am a huge fan of going to the two LFS's near by.....the prices have been very competitive with online and I don't have to deal with DOA and sub prime critters. If there is something specific you are looking for why not ask your LFS if they can get it........anytime I have asked mine they have been able to get it.

I haven't bought anything live online and as far as I see it I have no need. Find a quality LFS and they will take care of you:D.

::sometimes cheaper then the online price and I don't have to pay shipping::

I have ordered online before. never any live stock but i have ordered equipment! its not so bad!
Or you can try another LFS for a unique item!
I use DR.Foster Smith site. there OK.

I have ordered both livestock and equipment online. Ordering equipment online is the way to go.. you can get much better prices there than in any LFS imo/ime.

On the livestock, i guess it really depends. If you are looking for a rare collectors edition (limited edition, whatever) coral, than you probably wont find it in a LFS, and they probably can't get it.. so your left with no choice.

On fish, unless its a really nice specimen or hard to obtain fish at a great price, i would rather get it from a LFS. At a local fish store, you can see the actual fish, see it eat, and the stress rate goes way down from the half hour car drive from the store to your house, then its does the 20 hour plane and truck ride from the place in california to your house.

Of course that being said, i'm ordering a few large corals from liveaquarias divers den this week.. lol.

I've done both but prefer to get my livestock from LFS unless I'm looking for something that is normally not stocked and hard to get...

Big fan of the Dry goods online, Livestock at LFS. The fact that I can see the fish and it eat goes a long way.

I like to buy supplies and equipment online. I prefer to buy my livestock locally. I think it is good to keep my local LFS in business. That being said... There is no way my LFS (and there is only 1 worthwhile inside and hour) can carry very expensive stuff like my Crosshatch Trigger. I have used several online sources very successfully for some of my more expensive items.

Nothing like seeing it in a tank and taking it home that day. After visiting a number of the local shops recently and seeing their stuff I am happy to stick with to the LFS.

Wes

Back