Light spectrum and coralline

stingythingy45

BRS Member
My tank used to have tons of coralline algae.
Recently,about 3 months ago I changed from 14K Ushio to 14K Phoenix and the coralline on my glass has all but disappeared.I still top off with kalkwasser and my parameters are as follows:

S.G.- 1.025
Alk-8 dkh
Ca-480 ppm
Mg. -1350 ppm
Temp-79 deg.
Nitrate-20 ppm
Phos-undetectable

I dump my water change discard water in my qt/hos. tank and that has PC 2-65 watt and that tank is full of coralline as well as my 20L refugium attached to the same system with a 65 watt spiral PC bulb over it.
Anybody else notice coralline disappear under certain light spectrums?
I'm actually not complaining at all,BTW.Hardly any more scraping is necessary anymore.:)

change in spectrum, and also boost in light output probably did it. when i went from a yr old 10k to a pheonix 14k i nuked mine too. i think coraline algae likes less light than a lot of our corals. it may have not acclimated quick enough to survive. im sure it will come back though.

I had the same result, but I never thought the lights? I was told nitrates, and phosphates can do it. I never really figured out what it was, but it never really came back. I havnt noticed anything with my new LEDs

I had the same result, but I never thought the lights? I was told nitrates, and phosphates can do it. I never really figured out what it was, but it never really came back. I havnt noticed anything with my new LEDs

Odd thing is my qt is loaded with coralline,and that's water change water.

I have been using Pheonix 14K over several years, good coral growth but no coraline algae for years. Coraline algae normally grow under lower light condition especially under PC light.

I have been using Pheonix 14K over several years, good coral growth but no coraline algae for years. Coraline algae normally grow under lower light condition especially under PC light.

Call me crazy,but I'm liking it.
I was beginning to hate coralline algae on the glass.
No more scraping that tough green coralline,this is a blessing.

Call me crazy,but I'm liking it.
I was beginning to hate coralline algae on the glass.
No more scraping that tough green coralline,this is a blessing.

I read somewhere that all coraline algae does is looking pretty. It seals up pores from Live rocks and renders them less effective.

Back