Lighting Help and recommendations

ShelleyBoston

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I've been out of the loop for a a few years and since then LEDs came along
Right now I just have a 6.5 Gallon nano and I am planning on upgrading it to a 20G innovative Marine. If you were to setup a new 20G 24" wide tank what would you get? I am looking at the Maxspect 60W Nano R420R Razor LED Lighting Fixture- but of course I want to get thr right lighting to begin with and I am open to suggestions. I want a good lighting but one of my criteria is that I want it to be flat rather than bulky or pendant light. The Skkye LED is another I am looking at ..
I wantt o be able to keep soft as well as LPS corals...
Thank you...

Hi bud ,
I'm not new to reefing but I'm new to nano. What I'd like to tell you that can hopefully solve your problems is that you should go with the best light you can afford . I know it sounds cliche but it's true. Be confident with the light you feel like you would and enjoy based on the options that are attractive to you.Technology with lighting is super close and opinions can just make it more confusing. Evreyone between amateur and expert is still experimenting with all the technological options available and even though people can give you great input, google the lights fixture that interests you and read some reviews. If it has the options that meet your expectations and the reviews to support the companies claims then go for it. One thing I will say is the more powers I.e w(watts) the better and color temperature , between 10,000 to 12,000 K will give you a warm color, more white, red, blue, while 15,000 to 20,000 K will give you more of a cool white with blue

For a 20gallon 24 inch tank, I would use a 120w razor and dial it down to 75% on both channels.

+1 on razor for a flat light. very nice color, integrated controller.

+1
You can ignore what I suggested, if these two guys( mitant and dz6t )give a suggestion, they are experts and know what they are talking about listen to them !!!

I have the AI Prime and have had it set up over a Nano cube for about 5 or 6 months. I think it came out in April but possibly May. Anyway, it's a great light and everything thrives under it including SPS. PM me if you need any help with it.

Paul

Thanks, I set-up the light last night it was a bit confusing, they don't ship any instructions and the software firmware that ships with the light its buggy but it will auto update. After the update I was able to set it up correctly to work on a schedule. I have yet to play with the different color settings. The fan is not totally silent I can hear it run and its a bit annoying but I love the light so far for its small form factor and it packs a lot of power, I have it set to about 15% on my 6G.

I have this on a 12 gallon Nano Cube. I'll try to post up my lighting schedule this weekend. I've been swamped with work lately.

Back