Lighting question

For my 29 gallon I am thinking of getting either T5 HO, or PC. But since it is such an odd length, 30in there are no T5 HO fixtures at that length, but there are for PC. I am thinking of either getting 2 24" 4 bulb T% HO fixtures, or 2 30 PC 2 bulb fixtures. the T% would give it 192 wpg, and the pc 260. I plan on keeping some sps, some lps, and some softies. It will be a low to medium flow tank as it will be holding Seahorses. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

This lighting is'nt really enough for most SPS,SPS also need very high flow,sea horses do not,sea horses are best kept in a dedicated tank.

I have to agree. You can not keep many SPS under PCs but I have seen alot of people keeping them under T-5s and have good results, but they did say they would like to see better growth and color so they went to MHs
I was thinking of starting a seahorse tank myself but that would be a seahorse and pipefish tank, little of anything else and low low flow

So I guess I wil go with just one PC hood for 130 watts and have softies for the most part, I will leave the rest for my 30xh reef, when I set that up.

penguinsix said:
So I guess I wil go with just one PC hood for 130 watts and have softies for the most part, I will leave the rest for my 30xh reef, when I set that up.

Sounds good,most LPS will do well under the pc's too

I would check out the Reefgeek website. I usually found that PC and t5 cost were rather close, and you get much more bang for your buck with t5's.

I am 10x happier with my t5 over the old PC system I had before. I would never go back.
but then again, for a 29gal tank, you could allways do a single MH pendant buld. you can find them used of short money usually.

Back