Lighting Upgrade for Biocube 14

Shane5223

Non-member
I have had my Biocube 14 up and running over a year now and I am starting to thing I want more than just a couple of fish, some shrroms, and some polyps.

I want more corals and am thinking a lighting upgrade is in order, but want to keep the top as close to original as possible.

Do you think by adding 1 more 24W fixture would be enough for some acans or even a clam..

Currently I am running only one 24W Actnic & one 24W 10K.

I have also been debating on changin to LED...Any thoughts on that?

It would be great for almost any lps coral. I would never do a clam. They are very hard to keep and requiermmore light than that.

I don't know about the clam, but I have a BioCube 14 that I use as a frag tank, and my acans are great. I also have a BioCube 29 with a Nanotuners light upgrade that won't support acans at all. It doesn't matter if I put them high or low in the tank, within a month they have to go back to the 14. I have had my BioCube 29 for about 4 years now. My guess is that there is some other coral in the 29 that the acans don't like that changes the water quality since it's essentially the same water in both tanks except for the rock and the livestock. I think the best thing to do is try a small piece and see how it does in your tank.

I have had my Biocube 14 up and running over a year now and I am starting to thing I want more than just a couple of fish, some shrroms, and some polyps.

I want more corals and am thinking a lighting upgrade is in order, but want to keep the top as close to original as possible.

Do you think by adding 1 more 24W fixture would be enough for some acans or even a clam..

Currently I am running only one 24W Actnic & one 24W 10K.

I have also been debating on changin to LED...Any thoughts on that?

there is a guy that comes into kca that has a 14 gallon biocube that he has a clam in. he only has the standard 2 bulb light also. he did have it up on the rocks in the middle of the tank though. adding the 3rd light wouldn't hurt though.

Back