Live Rock Need Light?

jackie

Non-member
I'm thinking of moving some of my live rock into a temporary container (until I get a bigger tank) to get rid of the 'great wall of China' look. Other than using a heater and small PH, does the rock need to be kept in light? I want to be able to put it back in the tank without a curing process if I can. I've forgotten some of the basics....tks

Jim Tansey said:
Without light everthing dies eventually, but it should be ok for a while.

Jim
Only algae bacteria will be fine. The LR will actually shed detritus and clean up. You will be amazed how much crap will come out of your rock...

Jim Tansey said:
Without light everthing dies eventually, but it should be ok for a while.

Jim

It's probably going to be in a holding tank for about 2 mos., which is probably too much? I could probably keept the bucket in front of the south facing windows....

jango said:
Only algae bacteria will be fine. The LR will actually shed detritus and clean up. You will be amazed how much crap will come out of your rock...

Yeah you never really get it all with reg. tank cleanings...that is a good aspect. Will other organisms be Ok as far as keeping it's biological benefits?

Jackie if it is going to be 2 months why don't you search "rock cooking" over on RC. It gives a whole process on cleaning up the live rock.

PS, it is not actually cooking like on the stove, it is just an unusual naming convention. All that really happens is keeping the rock in the dark so the bacteria push all the detrius out of your live rock. With a regimin of swishing the live rock and replacing the salt water until it no longer sheds detrius.

Bacteria, some pods and sponges will be fine.

Last edited:
Thank you I'll check RC.....it almost sounds like it's not a bad idea to do this about once a year or so on a couple pieces at a time to really clean things up.:)

jackie said:
It's probably going to be in a holding tank for about 2 mos., which is probably too much?
That is not too much..

jackie said:
I could probably keept the bucket in front of the south facing windows....
You don't want any light. Light grows algae.

jackie said:
Will other organisms be Ok as far as keeping it's biological benefits?
What organisms?

Funny you should mention that, I'm picking up a better skimmer for my tank next week and will use the old one for the rock....thanks for the idea!

I walked into the house yesterday afternoon to the most GAWDAWFUL smell:eek: I had to step outside again to take a deep breath......I put the rock in an empty IO bucket on Sunday, put a heater and PW (didn't have time to hook up a skimmer). What a slimey mess, I changed the water twice, this morning's not so bad, probably because I'm used to the smell:rolleyes: I"m glad I decided not to put it in my bedroom! Curious, why was there some die off?

Back