looking for ideas for under tank display refugium

mvallee

Non-member
I am looking to create a display worthy under tank refugium under my 180 gallon tank. I have a small fuge chambered in a 55 gallon tank with some sand, rubble, coral skeletons i hope will reenergize someday and a couple different kinds of macro algae and find myself laying on the floor looking in there at all the different pods scurrying around and the algaes growing and think a display fuge would be really cool adding additional kinds of algae's shrimp sand etc.... as well as adding a few more gallons of water volume never hurts.

My 180 is on a standard wooden stand with three doors, the openings are 16" wide by 21" high by 24" deep. because of the plumbing a tank of a size 16"X16"X16" would be perfect but deeper, up to 21" and taller 18" would work too but 16" is max for width. I would also need to be able to drill the back of the tank towards the top for overflows that I could plumb into the sump that is in a closet directly behind the tank. the height would work perfectly for gravity feed and I could tee off of one of the dual overflows with a valve to regulate flow directly into the tank.

Looking at the bottom of my stand there appears to be a thin piece of plywood that i think would need to be cut out so i could either build up a stable platform for the tank or place right on the floor. I would take that door right off and partition that space from the rest of the stand so I could store all my stuff that just seems to get cluttered up under the remaining part of my stand.

thoughts? pitfalls? suggestions on tank sizes?

thanks

Do you have Instagram? A good friend of mine did this with her new tank build. I could tag you. She hand built all of it and could answer any questions you'd have.

Back