Looking for ideas

Leadfootedracer

Non-member
Looking for ideas/suggestions/experience with attaching the craft mesh sheet (commonly used in turf scrubber setups) to glass.

I am running a air sponge in my QT tank, and have discovered the puffer in there likes to pick it apart. No sweat, he's supposed to be temporary. No such luck. He will probably be permanently housed in this tank. I've got a piece in there now just kind of leaning in place but he's managed to get around it. I need the sheet to extend to the top of the tank so I can extract the sponge and change it when necessary.

Here's a pic of what I've got now, to give you an idea of what in talking about.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453414005.740836.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would switch it out for egg crate, non flexible and you could get two smaller pieces tie wrap them together to make a wedge that fits around your sponge and hold it in place with that rock or something so he does not get around it or build a box out of egg crate that you can put over the sponge totally enclosing it.

I have some egg crate. I will give that a try. Didn't even think of that. I don't think he would force himself through it.

Traditional superglue reef safe? I will glue the sides 2 together and then, like you said, lean rocks against it to keep it tight against the glass.

Use what ya got w a few globs of silicone on the edges to adhere it to the glass

Or make an eggcrate rectangle using egg crate and zip ties so you don't need to wait for any silicone to cure. If necessary secure that to the air line or sponge with another zip tie or two to keep it from moving around.

I'm having a couple ideas now that everyone is tossing ideas around.

I'm thinking of super gluing 2 pieces of egg crate together at a 90* angle and using a glob of silicone in each of the top corners to hold it in place which Allows me to avoid draining the tank. If the fish get through it, I can the. Zip tie the finer craft mesh to it to make it much more difficult to get through.

Here is the first draft.

Has a couple zip ties on it to hold it together while the glue dries. I will get this into the tank this weekend.

I will silicone it to the glass to keep it from moving around. Just a couple small dabs at the top edge so I don't have to drain the tank all the way.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453479653.320365.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1453479667.665660.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1453479676.416041.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1453479683.883570.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453570213.155047.jpg

Here it is, in the tank. Couple globs of silicone in the upper corners to hold it in place. The firefish go through it, but nothing else I have, or plan to put in here would. Worse case, I could put the craft mesh around in, or inside it to act as a screen to keep out smaller fish.

Back