Magnesium spike

ReefKeeper1699

Non-member
Few weeks ago my lfs tested my mag and I was at 1320. Today they tested it and it's at 2800!!?? I haven't dosed and the only thing from last test to this test was a 5 gallon water change and a weekly dose of Kent's iodide. One other thing I did was use the magnet to clean brown crap and algea off the back of the glass that was never done. Tank is 3 months old. Alk is 7 and calcium is 440 along with a ph of 7.8. I just dosed Auquavitro 8.4 to bring up ph and alk. Let me know your thoughts. Corals are all thriving.

I am hoping she messed up on the test or my dose of iodide yesterday effected it.... Or even the 1.5 gallon water top off a little before I brought a water sample messed it up... I'm worried

It sounds like its a mess up. I can't see how Mag could just jump like that without dumping tons of it in your tank. Even when dosing m, it takes a lot of Mag to raise it a considerable amount.

" 72 gallon bow mixed reef "
" 24 gallon SPS dominant "

No, I personally wouldn't worry, but it wouldn't hurt to have it tested somewhere else, or try to hookup with a fellow reefer to test. This would give you peace of mind. Salifert test kits are really good for Mag. I could test for you , but I'm in Riverside RI. Lol

" 72 gallon bow mixed reef "
" 24 gallon SPS dominant "

Sounds like a screw up during testing.
It would take a lot of dosing depending on the size of the tank, to get that much of a raise in MG.

And that's considering I didn't dose at all since last test.... Unless it takes a week or more for a dose I previously added from first test to be registered or is it 24 hours? And if someone is willing to test that would be awesome

Yeah,for my tank it would take like 4 gallons of supplement to raise my Mg. that much.:rolleyes:
If I was closer I'd help you out. Look into one of those Red Sea pro test kits that has alk/ca/Mg kits in it.
Very easy to use and quite accurate.

Yeah,for my tank it would take like 4 gallons of supplement to raise my Mg. that much.:rolleyes:
If I was closer I'd help you out. Look into one of those Red Sea pro test kits that has alk/ca/Mg kits in it.
Very easy to use and quite accurate.

Yea just doesn't add up . Im going to look for that test kit thanks!

Your good.
The person doing the test probably put 5 ml. in the tube instead of 2 ml. that is commonly used for most Mg. test.

And on a side not, don't know if it's linked to this but I have a ton of these tiny sponge white tube looking things in my refugium as well as these small white flat dots on my live rock in DT. About the size of rice if rice could be round.

Glad I could ease your mind.:)

Sounds like sponges,feather dusters and pods.
All great things to find in the tank. Means that the tank/refugium is doing very well.

Back