Majano? (Dial Up Beware)

Banik

Non-member
Howdy Folks,

Got 70#s of LR today and now there are little beasties coming out all over the place, so here's the first of my ID threads. I'm not sure what this is, beyond anemone. I'm rather sure it's not Aptasia and I'm not sure if it's a Majano...

here's a pic I just ook of it, dialup beware.
MajOrAp.JPG

If that's too big (size limit?) Here's the link.

http://web.mit.edu/banik/www/MajOrAp.JPG

Thanks folks

Oh, sorry about the dirty glass.

I'm guessing it was florida rock and those are the cousins of aptasia. They are almost the same, but aptasia don't have the stripes. They are still a pest, but don't spread nearly as fast. peppermint shrimp probably will eat any babies, so they won't spread at all. My copperbanded cleaned them out, but I had to train her by feeding the aptasia fish food.

Ahh Cool, before I got the peppermint advice, I pulled the rocks that they were on patially out, and hit them with an up-side-down can of dust off. I froze the little buggers. Now, to see if it worked. If so, I'll contribute a new way to destroy them ;-)

looks like peppermint shrimp it is. I Froze the Aptasia, and they're back. I did one again so I could track the progress for it, and it was back within a couple hours! Doh...

I have a can of compressed air called "Dust Off" It's used for cleaning dust of/out of computers, etc. When you hold the can upside down and spray it, it spews forth this liquid, which is basically just liquid CO2 kept in liquid phase due to pressure. So think of it as a little liquid CO2 squirter ;-)

Joe's Juice works good on Aiptasia for the big ones. Peppermints usually keep them away and chomp on smaller ones.

flash freezing them won't work. They just withdraw into the rock and wait it out. In the mean time, you're probably killing all the good micro fauna on the rock. Peppermint shrimp should do it, in time. Other than that, try the joe's juice.

Heh, start a trend, or something... Besides, my tank's too young for fish yet. That's right, a new saltwater aquariest who's trying not to rush it! *gasp* Yeah, anyway, I just got back from skipton's with some peppermint shrimp... let's see how they work out.

Well if you're trying not to rush it, stop putting anemone's in your new tank ;) (just kidding).

Good luck with the peppermints. They should do the trick if the aptasias aren't too big.

Nate

Back