major important ?'s about moving

dmurb

Non-member
I have to move my tank out of my house after living here for 2 years my landlord has decided I can't keep my tank here anymore. I've moved before and was fine. My real questions are about sand. I obviously and removing the water, live rock, corals, and livestock. Will my sand be ok to reuse do I need new sand. If I don't disturb the sand will it be ok. I really need help. I was bombarded with this today and need to get it out by the weekend. I'm moving to a friends house about 15 minutes away. Please help me so I can have some sort of plan. Thanks guys

I would personally remove and get new sand. There's a lot of nastiness in there if it does get disturbed.

How big of a tank is it?

I have moved or upgraded and then downgraded before. Everytime I just went with new sand. Didn't wanna chance anything. Read a lot on this and most suggested new sand.

When I moved my sand from one tank to another, I just rinsed it in a 5 gallon bucket of tank water. No issues at all. It was a 1.5" sandbed.

If your not gonna replace it I would rinse it like crazy, I've done a few tank swaps and you won't believe the nasty stuff you'll have build up, ooh and not to mention the smell lol

Thanks for the help guys. I think that I'll be rinsing my sand versus buying new. Does anyone have any recommendations to try to make things easier. I moved here about 2 years ago and moved my tank then. I had it running for a year at my old place and i also upgraded to this tank after having my original for a year and a half. So I have broken it down and set back up before it just sucks doing so.

A large container. Stick a garden hose at the bottom and stir until it runs almost clear. By almost I mean fine particles that are sand colored are ok. Even a little bit of grey is bad.

If this is a deep sandbed, meaning over 3-4 inches deep rinsing is going to suck.

Back