Manjano question

NateHanson

Non-member
I just got a nice big rock from a friend and it appears to have a few manjanos on it, so I'm wondering how to take care of this before it becomes a problem? I am also taking care of a small colony for him, and the rock it's on also has a couple manjanos.

A search of past threads gave mixed reviews for Joes Juice, Kalk paste, and Butterflies. What would you guys try for a limited number of these isolated (for now) on two rocks?

You might be able to get them to detach if you can expose them above water for a few minutes a couple of times, maybe squirt them with some rodi. Getting them to detach themselves is the best because they don't leave any bits behind to grow into new ones. Do it in a bucket because they are hard to cach when they drift away.

If you can borrow the light I have you can easilly find them all.=, even the teeny ones hiding in crevases.

I would pluck them from the rock. Once they get in the tank and get in to crevices forget it, TRUST ME!!!!!! I would also try that previuos method to get them to release from the rock.

-B-

Flightys idea is about the best I've heard! Don't let them into your system. They detach and float around in no time at all. I just set up a new tank for my mantis. I put a piece of manjano infested rock from the old mantis tank in it. (I thought it looked kinda cool in the mantis tank :rolleyes: ) Deb asked if I was really going to let the new tank get infested with these things, which is her way of saying get those outa there right this damned second or you'll be sleeping on the couch for a couple years. Yes...such a quick, simple little question really does have that complicated of a meaning. So anyway, the rock was in there for all of 10 minutes and they detached and moved to other rocks.

>Don't let them into your system<

I agree, I would not ever allow these knowingly to enter a system. No good biological control.

I would use Joe's Juice on them, or a similar product (Joes Juice has always been the easiest for me since I didnt have to make it and it came with a little syringe). Ive heard that when you try to remove them a small piece can tear off and then regenerate a new anemone. Wouldn't want to risk that.

I've found that they are generally a lot easier to manually remove (with forceps, tweezers, etc.) than Aiptasias, and in most cases will come off in one piece. of course, you always want to do this outside the tank. But I've removed about 90% of the majanos in my tank with tweezers and no problems with regeneration. IMO, they are a lot easier to deal with than Aiptasias.

>IMO, they are a lot easier to deal with than Aiptasias.<

That's good to know. I FWIW do not have any direct experience with them. My experience (for the last 10 years or so :rolleyes: ) has only been with Aiptasia.

Nate, I got a similiar rock. Outside the tank under actinic light (they glow), I squirted them with RO/DI water, then use hemostats (sp?) to grib and pull them off. Came off pretty easily.

Mark

Back