March Meeting! - 2010 BRS Annual Auction!

lol... if you don't wanna support the club then don't... but then don't be offended when the club offers things to the members that do support it, and not to the members that just use all of the clubs resources and give nothing in return.

I wouldn't call that a perk. What I would call it is a dis service all members who are try to sell/auction their goods.

I believe you are missing the point here.

Respectfully, this is a club function, and it is our primary fundraiser for the year.

There is no selling or auctioning of anything by members at this meeting. The goods in this auction are solely donated by members (and some sponsors) who want to see the club grow, flourish and succeed.

As a paid member, you are welcome to come and bid on items that are going to go for far below retail, and are donated by our generous members, new and old, paid and unpaid. You're also welcome to come and eat the pizza which we also supply at this event every year.

If you are not a paid member, and don't see the value of this forum for information, education, speakers, meetings and the forums where you can buy and sell things, as well as a bidding paddle and free pizza at this meeting....for less than 6 cents a day, I'm not sure what else there is to say...but it means that I've obviously failed at MY job as VP of PR for the club. I apologize for that. :(

Hi - new to this auction. I think it is great. It is local events such as these which have drawn me to BRS. :D

Unfortunately, due to other commitments, I cannot count on staying for the entire time frame. If necessary, I wish to plan my limited availability to attend accordingly.

Will there be advanced notice of the relative order of items, i.e. equipment followed by live stock (fish), Inverts, etc?

Hi - new to this auction. I think it is great. It is local events such as these which have drawn me to BRS. :D

Unfortunately, due to other commitments, I cannot count on staying for the entire time frame. If necessary, I wish to plan my limited availability to attend accordingly.

Will there be advanced notice of the relative order of items, i.e. equipment followed by live stock (fish), Inverts, etc?

The auction is generally run in a pretty random manner, we try to mix it up as best we can to keep people interested. Monotony is our enemy, we can't have folks falling asleep on us, so we need to keep them on their toes. ;)

WOOT WOOT I can't wait for the auction! This will make two meetings back to back for me and Jen. That's got to be a record:D.

To bad my paddle won't get much use.....I just blew the reef budget out of the water with the new light, bulbs and CO2 regulator:(:).

In general, what is the starting bid on these items?

What is the incremental bid increase?

IIRC the starting bid is whatever the actioneer thinks is reasonable, and the increments are whatever people are willing to bid ;)

Seriously though, I don't think there is any formal system. There are always some items that go home for a steal.

IIRC the starting bid is whatever the actioneer thinks is reasonable, and the increments are whatever people are willing to bid ;)
IIRC?

Seriously though, I don't think there is any formal system. There are always some items that go home for a steal.

Oh - so we, with paddles, will be shouting-out our own bids? I assumed the auctioneer would be calling-out incremental increases, i.e. "$10, do I hear $15. $15, going once... twice... sold to the guy with a 20 gal tank in his lap."

Last edited:
If I recall correctly

If the person who donates gives a minimum bid it will begin at the minimum bid they set.
Oh - so we, with paddles, will be shouting-out our own bids? I assumed the auctioneer would be calling-out incremental increases in the bid to determine if there are any additional takers. Sounds chaotic. ;)
The auctioneer does regulate the bidding but people can and do go over those bids to win items.

Just ask JayM his daughter out bids him every year :p

It goes something like this:

Who will give me $50.00 for this 1/4" mojano frag?

Bidder raises paddle

I have $50....anyone else? This is a JayM LE/tyree/ORA mojano, very hard to get....:p

Another bidder raises their paddle

I have $55....anyone else? C'mon?

Going once, going twice....

$60.....

Going once, going twice, sold

:rolleyes:

Then Jay says Libby, why did you buy that?? I donated it!

Bidder raises paddle

I have $50....anyone else? This is a JayM LE/tyree/ORA mojano, very hard to get....:p

$60.....

Last edited:

Bidder raises paddle

$60.....

Just make sure you know when you are raising your paddle and what you are bidding on:rolleyes::eek:

Too funny guys! :D

Last day to pre-register your donations guys, the auction is tomorrow!::

Please remember that if you did not have time/forgot/are just a last minute person :p, you can just bring your donations with you to the auction tomorrow and we will register them then!:)

Bidder raises paddle

$60.....

$100.00.........Sold to Libby McBride :D

Back