March Members' Auction Madness 2012!!

It's that exciting time of year again, the members' auction!!! If you've attended in the past you know the fun, if it's your first time you don't want to miss out on the bidding shenanigans and some really unique items. You never know what is going to pop up at the auction or who! This years' auction will be held on March 25th Sunday - Noon-4 PM at the Framingham Lodge of Elks.

I have sent out some PM's directly to members that use our forum to market their extra corals and livestock, and also to those members that have been generous enough to donate to the club in past auctions, but I figured I'd put out this general request here as well as we do rely on the entire membership to make this happen. :)

We have many exciting events planned for the club for this year as you can see from the 2012 calendar but as with most things this requires having the funds available to make these activities possible such as bringing in some excellent new speakers, DIY meetings, junkyard wars, cook-outs, a possible family day event and of course the daily running of the forums, forum updates, VB mobile, etc. ALL proceeds from the auction will/always go to funding the club's many activities.

Livestock Donations:
It's time to dig into your frag collection or start fragging and find the unusual stuff that will generate a lot of interest at auction. Corals, fish, or invertebrates will all be accepted, but please make sure what you donate is something that there will be a market for. Large, non-reef-safe fish, or some invertebrates might not sell well.

Equipment Donations:
New or used reef equipment will be accepted. We are going to keep it to equipment for the hobby though. If possible please try to clean up the equipment to make it presentable, and make sure you supply accurate information about the equipment (eg. needs new pump, runs fine, tank leaks but...).

We will soon have an auction forum set up to show off all the donations we have received so far and will continue to update the forum until the day of the auction. Please do note that most items are donated the day of the auction so come to the meeting so you don't miss out!!

Please send your donation info and photos (photos not required but VERY helpful!) to [email protected]
Please include in the email...
Your Real Name
Username
Item donated
Photo of the item (again, not required, but big bonus!)

Thanks to all in advance! This auction is always a great time and this years' has the potential to be a great one...but only with your participation. This is where you guys come in, albeit from donations or spending your hard earned cash in a fun bidding war over some fabulous items for your tank!! :)

What are you doing still reading....time to start fragging!!

Last edited:
What's the date and location? It's not on the calendar.

It's in the 2012 BRS Revolving calendar which can be found stickied at the top of the forums. Guess I should have included that in the announcement :eek: But it's March 25th Sunday - Noon-4 PM - Framingham Lodge of Elks - Annual member donated frag and used equipment auction. Hope to see you there!!

BRING COOLERS!

I can not stress this enough. I came last year with a small cooler, and a very specific shopping list. Well 4 hours later, and making the mistake of giving my paddle to a friend who just bidded on stuff she thought was "neat" I had 27 more pieces to work with in the tank...

SO bring a bigger cooler than you think you need. And heat packs (water bottles filled with warm water at the event and wrapped in a towel work great too!)

Already prepping my tank, and fragging some stuff to donate...lets see what I can come up with :)

Just a friendly reminder that as in years past frag swapping and selling are not going to be allowed at this meeting...

It is a good time. Lots of nice coral, Cheap money..The people watching is always good, Like Jays son and daughter bidding against him... And me getting mad at Bob, When He was not bidding on what I wanted... LOL. Time to start the fragging, and taking pictures of what you are donating, so we can plan the budget...

will there be a list put up later on of what to be auction or we find out when we get there?

There is a sub-forum at the top of this forum marked Auction, all the donations we receive prior to the auction will be posted there along with pictures if I receive pictures. I have received some donations already and the pictures will be going up sometime today. So keep checking back and remember that many things are donated the day of, don't miss out!!

And to all the Auction Noobies out there the list we have will probably only be about 1/4 - 1/3 of the actual donations because a great majority of donations we get day of... And we definitely won't say no to that day donations :D

Yup, I will try to get as comprehensive a list as possible, but a lot of stuff (especially some really unique items) come in the day of the auction!

Tax return will be back by then...sweeeet :)

hey is there any frag swapping allowed at the auction meeting?
confused-smiley-014.gif

J/K

large-smiley-028.gif

Sheesh, too bad we're away that weekend, the auction is always a good time!

Well then, if you are away, I'll do your bidding. Just send me your CC #. I'll pick out some really nice stuff for you. And as a bonus, I'll bid against myself, Just so they think your there. LOL

Yeah, the CC is in the mail :p

the last time an auction was planned, I was actually asked if I'd be around, lol

Yeah, the CC is in the mail :p

the last time an auction was planned, I was actually asked if I'd be around, lol

You would think that would be included in the SOP when organizing the auction.

Item# 1: Check with Jay and make sure he will be able to attend the auction.
Item# 2: If Jay cannot attend the auction, change the date before announcing said date to accommodate Jay's schedule.
Item# 3: If Jay is incapacitated and is physically unable to attend the auction. Have a wireless laptop set up by his beside to ensure he is capable of bidding.
Item# 4: If Jays fingers are splinted, have his daughter tape a straw to his forehead with duck tap. So that he can peck at the keys like a chicken.
Item# 5: If all else fails. Make sure Jay's daughter is present with a cattle prod to force electrical impulses through his muscles, so that he can flop around hitting the keyboard.

The list goes on to include cloning.

Last edited:
Back