Maxima clam question

mark429

Non-member
Ok so I've had this awesome maxima clam for about 4 months now and it has never found a home yet but my question is for the last 3 days it has been on its side. Is this normal?

What do you mean it has never found a home?

is it attached to a rock?

the clam shouldnt be on its side. Straighten it up.

small clams will flip themselves over. try to box it in with liverock rubble and have a piece underneath its foot

I would straighten it ASAP. I just lost a baby maxima. I had it for about 5 months and it was doing great but also never attached to anything no matter where I put it. I found it sideways in the sand after being away for a few days and it didn't look good and died the next day. Not sure if being sideways was the cause but that was what I was thinking. Good luck with it

ok i did turn it upright, it has only been that way for a day so hopefully no damage was done. ill check when i get home to see if it attached to the rock i put it near. does anybody spot feed there clams and if so what

How is your waterfowl?

Clams don't link a strong waterflow, they like indirect waterflow so they can filter the water easier.

i have an mp10 in my 37g turnned up to about 80 percent and the clam is on the same side as the powerhead so where it is would be i'm guessing medium flow

i have an mp10 in my 37g turnned up to about 80 percent and the clam is on the same side as the powerhead so where it is would be i'm guessing medium flow
I guess that is good, as long at the powerhead is not hitting it directly.

I have tested that in my aquarium, and by the time I come back from work the clams moved.

I have 2 clams like yours and I put them on the sand. They say they need rock to attach to, but they will attach their foot right to the glass if they are in shallow enough sand. Mine are in the sand and happy. Check'em out
5mw6e.jpg
[/IMG]

I would straighten it ASAP. I just lost a baby maxima. I had it for about 5 months and it was doing great but also never attached to anything no matter where I put it. I found it sideways in the sand after being away for a few days and it didn't look good and died the next day. Not sure if being sideways was the cause but that was what I was thinking. Good luck with it

same happened to me. keep in in a small plastic cup with sand at the bottom. cut the neck of the cup down...you can also put a piece of PVC thats been cut to keep the clam upright. I kept my maxis like that for 3 mths so I could target feed with an inverted cup to cover it (attached to my feeding tube) and that worked great but then I wanted to kick the cups outta the tank...a couple months later they died. I think it was the hermits and peppermints---turned it over and ate the foot. NExt time I keep them covered or up on a rock secured.

By who? All the recent data I have seen on the subject has shown that small clams in the tridacnid family which would include maximas has shown even when tiny can produce enough energy to sustain metabolism through photosynthesis.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts

"Tridacna clams are also filter feeders and constantly filter the water for small particulates. Maxima Clams larger than 2” do not require supplemental feedings, but smaller T. maxima that are less than 2” should be fed a phytoplankton or greenwater supplement several times per week if maintained in a nutrient poor reef aquarium." got this from live aquaria

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+2057+586&pcatid=586

By who? All the recent data I have seen on the subject has shown that small clams in the tridacnid family which would include maximas has shown even when tiny can produce enough energy to sustain metabolism through photosynthesis.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts

"Tridacna clams are also filter feeders and constantly filter the water for small particulates. Maxima Clams larger than 2” do not require supplemental feedings, but smaller T. maxima that are less than 2” should be fed a phytoplankton or greenwater supplement several times per week if maintained in a nutrient poor reef aquarium." got this from live aquaria

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+2057+586&pcatid=586

It seems like the issue is 50/50 between yes and no.

I tend to agree with the "NO" side. Only because it has worked for me in the past.

Back