Meeting: 28 May 2006 with guest Steve Tyree

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
The next meeting will be held Sunday 28 May 2006 at VFW post 7272 in Bellingham, MA.
The post's address is 940 South Main St in Bellingham. Click here for a map to the VFW

The meeting time will be from 11:30 am to 5:00pm

Our guest speaker will be Steve Tyree. Here is some info on Steve:
Steve has maintained saltwater aquaria for over 20 years. Previous accomplishments include writing articles for Aquarium Frontiers, Das Aquarium, Koralle, Sea Scope and Breeders Registry and hobbyist newsletters. He has in the past posted numerous articles and essays on the Internet. Photographs have been published in _The Reef Aquarium_ Volume 1 (Delbeek and Sprung), _The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium_ Volume 1,2,3 (Nilsen and Fossa), _Aquarium Corals_ (Borneman) and Steinkorallen Im Aquarium Band 1 (Knop). Steve has also given presentations to Macna VII in Louisville (Stony Corals), Macna X in Long Beach (Sponges), Macna XIV in Dallas (Sea Squirts and Tri-Zonal Filtration) and WMC 1999 in Vancouver (Environmental Gradient Filtration). The company, Reeffarmers, is owned and run by Steve. This company grows common and extremely rare stony corals for the retail market. Consultation has been provided by the company to exporters shipping corals from wild habitats. About 8 species of corals have sexually spawned in the authors captive reefs. Steve also helped start the Scleractinian Stony Coral Challenge Series that was run threw the Breeder's Registry. Consultation has been provided to Ecosystems Aquarium the inventors of a mud and macro-algae based filtration system. This consultation concerned the application of the system to support Reef Building Stony Corals. Steve also manages the web site reeffarmers.com, which is a reef farmers web network. This network helps farmers distribute their products into a national market. Current interest include captive scleractinian stony coral research, natural filtration methods, environmental gradients within tropical reef platforms, sponge research, ascidian research, bivalve research, zonal filtration research and propagating captive grown corals, sponges and ascidians via fragmentation, budding or sexual reproduction. Presentations have been given to various local clubs and associations located throughout North America. Steve has written four books concerning Reef Building Stony Corals, Living Sponges, The Sea Squirts and an original Environmental Gradient captive filtration method. These books are self-published through DE Publishing. The company DE is conducting second phase research concerning a zonal based natural method to maintain coral reef organisms within captive aquariums. Steve is currently conducting further research for a second volume in the CMAT book series. That book will formally define a zonal based reef modelling theorem.

You can check out Steve's websites: http://www.dynamicecomorphology.com/
http://www.reeffarmers.com/

Steve is taking orders for rare frags. There's a thread with more info stuck to the top of the Pooled Orders forum: http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25375

You can join as a BRS member at the start of the meeting.

We will have our usual frag swap at the end of the meeting.

More details to follow.

Hey, my birthday is the 29th! A meeting on a Sun and not a Sat morn (when I work), what a gift indeed.;)

We look forward to meeting those of you whom we have not yet met.

Gina and Dave

To find the place on route 126, look for this sign:

Last edited:
That's a great topic! Darn, now I am interested in going to the meeting :( Maybe Aquaman can give me a ride...

Anyone interested in car pooling from the Northshore? If so, let me know. I am in Newbury, MA but can meet where ever folks want to.

Jamison

This will be my first meeting, and just so you know, I have disappointed my mother and step-father for this meeting. My step-brother is having a First Communion & party for his daughter that day and they even sent me a formal invitation. When I took my mother and step-father out for dinner on Sunday they asked if I was going, and you should have seen their face not only when I told them 'no' but when I told them why. So THIS BETTER BE A GOOD MEETING! :D

I can just imagine, GinaD!:eek:

I'm glad you're going Gina, you're one of the small handful of people we've had the pleasure of meeting! We went to Cindy's house but this will be our first formal meeting.

Well, maybe tonight or tomorrow, we will be listing a few items for sale or trade, so if anyone has any of the items we listed in the want to buy, and they are interested in anything we have, then we will trade! Otherwise, we'll just buy and sell. I have already bought a couple of things to pickup at meeting, couldn't help myself.:rolleyes:

-Gina

I had to edit since I just went in to read the Frag Swap section.;)

Last edited:
Don't know if I would want to swap what I have. Everything is a newly aquired frag. Besides, I'd just be looking to buy (or win in an auction). Good thing I'm getting paid that Friday!

Back