Monster tank in the works? - Wakefield Con. Com. gives tentative okay

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
Well after spending ~$400 having the wetland behind my house delineated, filing out two very complicated forms with fees, two adds in the paper, handing out notices to ever neighbor within 100 feet of my property, and coming before the conservation commission of Wakefield twice (third to come), I'm ALMOST there.

Last week the Wakefield Con. Com. gave a tentative nod to my project, tearing down my existing deck and building a section of basement below, and a new floor to replace the deck. It will be a 12x12 foot room. The plan is to set up an 8ftx3ftx30high (460 gallon) tank.

So, after trying to start the project back in March, I'm only about 3 weeks away from the actual start date. I have to go back before the con. com. (meets every two weeks) with my state DEP #, get a final vote, and wait another 10 days (for anyone to object), THEN I can start.

Sheesh!

Nice! congrats on the project!!!
I am trying to find a way to squeeze a 180 into my place......might have to get rid of the wifes china cabinet ;)

I went thru the same thing on the garage for my house. The whole process took about 3 months to get conservation committee approval. We decided to build EVERYTHING we possibly could think of as a result of the process.
So we were approved for 25'x36' garage w/great room over garage. Then another 600 sq ft walk up attic above great room. Extend pool cabana, put sunroom on the back of the house, dormer back of the house (Cape), & add greenhouse on back of the house.
We only wanted to go thru the process once. It is a royal pain. I think we went before cons. committe 4-5 times, in addition to having them review our property for building a garage BEFORE we even bought the house.
Congrats...you are almost there!!! And I DO know your pain!!!

Well Greg welcome to the world of construction permitting. It?s tons of fun isn?t it. If the is anything I can do for you let me know. Good luck with the project, can?t wait to see the finished product.

>It?s tons of fun isn?t it.<

I'm definitely not going to be trying this again. This is the last work we will ever do on this house!

Congrats Greg! Sounds like the tank will be well worth the agravation. Did you pick a tank mfg.? Have you ordered the tank yet?

No, I've not picked a tank manufacturer. I REALLY want to use 3/4 inch low iron glass though, and there are not a lot of folks who have access to that. If anybody knows of a good manufacturer that can build a tank that size for a reasonable cost please let me know.

Marvin,

Glasscages does not have access to 3/4 low iron glass, nor do that have any interest in looking into aquiring such glass. They have a design for this tank that can use 1/2 Starfire glass, but it will involved multiple cross braces that I would prefer to avoid if I can. I'm not totally opposed to having some small cross braces, but I think in any case the tank would be much stronger with 3/4 glass.

Have you thought of using a different approach and only putting glass on the front of the tank? You can build the frame yourself and buy a sheet of glass cut to the thickness you desire for prolly much cheaper.

>Have you thought of using a different approach and only putting glass on the front of the tank? You can build the frame yourself and buy a sheet of glass cut to the thickness you desire for prolly much cheaper<

I'm not nearly that handy. The thought of a wall of water dumping into the room where I have the tank is a nightmare I don't want to be responsible for. I'm never trust myself on a job like this.

The glasscages quote I think was around 2.5-3 K for the tank itself, I'd have to look back at the numbers. The quote from Jeff Turners company in Florida was 7.5 K for just the tank. :eek: add on shipping a stand and canopy....:eek:

I'll likely end up somewhere between those numbers.

Greg do you think there may be some deals available at the upcoming MACNA? Maybe you should wait. All Glass (Oceanic) is one of the sponsors I know Oceanic does custom tanks.

Back