Monster tank in the works? - Wakefield Con. Com. gives tentative okay

Maybe you can get a company to make it and bring it to MACNA like glasscages does. I think shipping and insurance would be thousands otherwise. Or you could possibly pay a company for plans and have it built locally?

what about the new oceanic low iron glass tanks?

planning on moving the tank in AFTER the addition is built? all i can think about is the inland reef customer that couldn't get his Oceanic 525 out of his home because he moved it in BEFORE......

Interamerican does not have access to 3/4" low iron glass. They would be using 1/2" with multiple braces. IA does okay work, dirt cheap, but you can plan on 4 months for delivery (or twice as long as whatever they promise you!!).

Glasscages also does not have access to 3/4" low iron glass, nor do they have any interest in obtaining. The tank would therefore need multiple cross braces, or standard 3/4" float glass. A friend of mine just drilled a standard tank, and gave me the 1/4" thick circular piece of glass. Even looking through 1/4" there is quite a lot of green tint when I put it on a piece of white paper. I imagine at 3X that thickness everything in the tank will look rather green. I would save a lot on shipping with them since they would bring the tank with them to MACNA, but time is getting short for this option.

>. http://www.aquartaquariums.com/index.html<

I don't think I've heard of these guys. I'll check them out.

Our Glasscages is 1/2 inch, not low iron (they started using it a week after we ordered ours, arrrg.) You are welcome to check it out if you're ever near us. We're near AA. It's good to see their workmanship before you make a big purchase from them. I was happy with it, but don't expect it to look like an Oceanic. Maybe it would be worth the extra cash to convince them to go the extra few miles to your house from MACNA. Otherwise you'll need 15 people to get it out of your truck.

Just got off the phone with them. Aqua art only does acrylic, or standard float glass (GREEN) tanks. They do not have access to low iron glass of any kind.

Probably a dumb question, but , does the iron give the green tint? If not what's the point to low iron?

The low iron does give a tint, but it is MUCH lower then normal glass. Side by side you can see a huge difference

I went with Aquariums for you (AFY) in NJ. All things considered it seemed like a reasonable deal. It will be nice (I hope) dealing with an operation in which you can get someone on the phone and trust what they are saying. I received feedback from several folks suggesting this would be the case with AFY. I will keep you all informed.

FWIW, I also checked into purchasing large panes of low iron glass direct from a manufacturer. The quote I received was for a 96x30" piece of 3/4" low iron (the front glass of my tank) - $1024. The side panels 36x30" pieces of 3/4" low iron would be $429 each. I would also of course need a back panel 96x30" float glass, and a bottom panel 96x36" float glass, plus the Eurobracing piece. I didn't get quotes for those, but I imagine it would not be cheap either. In addition would be the cost of shipping from Louisianna to Boston ($200-300), I'd probably be able to get the float glass in the Boston area. So, just for the low iron glass we are looking at $2K, with the additional cost of the rest of the glass the $ numbers are getting high quick just for the glass.

Now......who's gonna help me lift this sucker in October!!!

you'll need an army to carry that thing,great to hear your going to get the tank you want and dont have to settle for less,cant wait to see how this turns out...

Back