My 6.5 Gallon Fluval Edge Upgrade

Royalty

Reefer In Training
It's been about a year now since I had my 6.5 gallon Fluval Edge, I decided to make it into a Nano tank my ex gave me the tank after we broke up I got the Dog and I kept tanks. I wouldn't have it any other way, So after a couple months I finally want to go ahead and set up my Nano or Pico tank? What ever they call it I want it :p. I'm drilling the tank and the stand it came with I picked up the Wood stand from petco today. It's made for a 28 Gallon bowfront which is going to work great for how I'm setting it up. I'll post up some picture's of what I've done so far!

Here's a list of things to come within the next month or so?

1. Set up Acrylic 15 Gallon Sump/Refugium
2. Drill two hole's into a Brand new 28 Gallon bow front stand for the PVC
3. Drill the tank with two hole's for the bulkheads 1/2 inch - 1 inch
4. Set up the Pluming up the PVC from tank, throw the stand and then to the Sump/Refugium then the return line with my Mag 2 (And cross my figure on my newly painted PVC I hope it's cured)
5. I want to add a coralife Refugium T5 light but I might have to cut even more into the stand, I'm debating it's a really nice stand.
6. MOD the Hood I kinda seat on it after I cut it for these DIY so sad :( I guess it's ok now I can redesign it to my liking
7. Set up my Reef Led Lights fixture

Deluxe Nano Kit :

Kit Includes
12 Cree XRE LEDs w Optics
Choose Your Driver Option
1 X Ultra Quiet 23 dB Fan w Powersupply
1 X 6″ x 8.46″ Heat Sink
1 X Thermal Adhesive and End Caps
1 X Leviton Polarized 15A Plug
6 XRE Q5 Cool White /6 Royal Blue w 80 degree lens
1 Mean Well ELN 60/48D demable

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The motivation for me, Is them telling me what I can not be O'well...
"I felt so inspirited about what My teacher said, said Ill either be dead or be a reefer head".

Active tanks
72 bowfront non RR mixed reef rebuild -29g Sump/Refugium /100g Euro-Reef skimmer /Phos ban reactor/upgrading the lighting to many things to list...
6.5 Fluval Edge rebuild LEDs

Non-active Tanks
46 bow front frag tank
40 G Breeder

Last edited:
Here's the tank old picture but you get the idea of what I'm working with.
attachment.php

And here's the Hood after I seat on it .

attachment.php

So I have a few updates on the tank First things first, I got the tank drilled at KCA luckly there was no issues. I was concern that it would crack or chip, I got my overflow box at this months meeting that John .k made for his demo. I also picked up a 50 watt heater and a T5 11in Refugium light. and I'm finishing up the hood before I leave for Vaca, (If your reading this john I will need another box made up when you get a chance the one was a bit to big). I'll pm you with the new size after I get back from vaca. Moving on I painted the pvc fittings blue, And waited a month for it to cure but after I tried installing the bulkheads and drilled the top and middle part of the stand for the pvc to be hiding. I realized that I didn't triple check to see if the 90 degree elbow was going to fit after I tighting it to the bulkhead. Seeing how I'm using the original plactic stand and the wood stand to help conseal the plumbing coming out the back of the tank. I have to rethink how Im going to plumb it?

Last edited:
i also have a fluval edge (saltwater), i wanted to add a sump/refugium like i did to my biocube HQI but was told the glass is to thin, and even if you did successfully drill it that not to long after it would start cracking around the bulkheads.........

i also have a fluval edge (saltwater), i wanted to add a sump/refugium like i did to my biocube HQI but was told the glass is to thin, and even if you did successfully drill it that not to long after it would start cracking around the bulkheads.........

As long as you give it the 2.5 inch of space between the bulkheads its a done deal.

the glass is only 1/4th inch thick i was told even just 1 hole if if it was ever bumped it could easily crack and even if that didnt happen the water flowing through would cause vibrations and eventually that would crack it.......

if not i would also like to drill mine......

I finally got a chance to update on my Fluval Edge Project. here's the D.I.Y Acrylic Sump I made a couple weeks back

attachment.php

And this was the most stressful moment the water test.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I had drilled the top and middle of the stand and painted the PVC with black epoxy appliance paint which worked out great I painted the PVC fitting blue but was a bit to scared to place the newly painted fittings that I left cure for a month, I was unsure about putting them into salt water so I bought new fittings just in case this was what I got.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's my Temp tank I set up I got tried of looking at an empty tank plus this way the cycling process is cut in half. So I used my equipment for my 6.5 Fluval Edge I got a clown in there but It's going into my main tank but for now I need something to look at.

attachment.php

Back