My 6.5 Gallon Fluval Edge Upgrade

you will have an mp10 in a 6 gallon tank? That will be some flow or turned down very low. I think you know but salinity is low and ammonia should be no existent. A water change might help. Is anything in the tank? Looked like some snails. Good luck with it will look neat when all done.

BTW, I briefly considered getting an MP10 for my 1.5 gallon tank :) I don't think having an MP10 in a 6 gallon is too crazy. I'm pretty sure that I've read a few posts with people having them in 5 and 10 gallon tanks on a different forum.

BTW, I briefly considered getting an MP10 for my 1.5 gallon tank :) I don't think having an MP10 in a 6 gallon is too crazy. I'm pretty sure that I've read a few posts with people having them in 5 and 10 gallon tanks on a different forum.

I just set up the Vortech MP10 last night I turned it down but not much seening how I have an overflow on my tank it doesn't make a mess of thing I love the pump but the cover for the dry side was broken I'm like WTF? it's making all kinds of noise.

Can someone tell me if 24 3w LED's is to much for a 6.5 Gallon Fluval with a 15 Gallon sump/refugium ? I'm looking into ordering some small things like the heat sink and some fans I'm going to hold off on the LED's for another month or so but I kinda want to get this little guy wraped up

That is WAY too much in my opinion. You are going to have to have everything turned way down for that not to burn everything. I am running 9 CREE led's on my 4 gallon, and I have the switch on the ballast turned about halfway down, and with them all the way bright they are just that, BRIGHT. You are talking about 72 watts over a 6 gallon tank...thats a lot. Is the sump/refuge also going to be lit by this setup? I have 120 watts over my 34 gallon and its pretty bright. I would back the numbers down a little bit...

I always thought the calculation was related to surface area and not gallonage
One 3-watt LED per 12-15 square inches of water surface area is the recommendation, at least that is what I used

I always thought the calculation was related to surface area and not gallonage
One 3-watt LED per 12-15 square inches of water surface area is the recommendation, at least that is what I used

The amount of LEDs needed is by area of the tank for coverage reasons. I would think with the dimensions of your tank 24 LEDs would be overkill. 12 would be more realistic John!

The amount of LEDs needed is by area of the tank for coverage reasons. I would think with the dimensions of your tank 24 LEDs would be overkill. 12 would be more realistic John!
Nice I've seen a really good deal on a heat sink and led's with optic's and fan's I could walk away with spending $140 on my LED light fixture maybe less that a really good deal

Last edited:
Back