My first Marine Tank

mannysmusic

Non-member
Started this tank about 3 weeks ago. It's almost done cycling so I'm getting excited about putting some fish in! I actually found this tank up the street from me. Someone was actually throwing it away! I scored the tank, stand ( I repainted it ), sump and all the base rock you see. I ended up buying a few pieces of live rock to get it cycle. The light is a 4 bulb, Aquatic Life T5. Love these lights! Nice and bright! It's been a Journey so far. If anyone is wondering what that mess looking stuff is on the top that is attached to the light and tank. That is actually a gutter guard that I had in the garage. I ended up cutting it and it fit perfect. This way no fish can jump out. I like it like also since I didn't have to block any of the light coming down from the lights. I also put a piece on top of the overflow since i've heard other reefers mention there fish sometimes jumping in there.. lol.. Don't want no clogged pipes. I would love some feedback on what kind of fish that would go best in this size tank.

Attachments

• CIMG2859 (300x225).jpg
    CIMG2859 (300x225).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 174
  • CIMG2863 (300x225).jpg
    CIMG2863 (300x225).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 172
  • CIMG2860 (300x225).jpg
    CIMG2860 (300x225).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 172
  • CIMG2862 (300x225).jpg
    CIMG2862 (300x225).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 168
  • CIMG2864 (300x225).jpg
    CIMG2864 (300x225).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 173
Wow. Nice job saving something that was being thrown away. Love the gutter guards, very resourceful. You didn't tell us the size (46 bow?) or whether you were going reef or fish only so a good source for info. is liveaquaria.com. It will give you the recommended size tank for each fish, there is a compatibility chart you can check to plan your community, and it will tell you if it is reef safe. Good luck.

Awe man I thought I was the only one using gutter guards as fish bumpers! I should have filed a patent! Heh.

I can't believe you found that for free. Major score. It must be destiny. Welcome to the insanity!

Those gutter guards are pretty sweet. Are they plastic or metal? I rent and have never needed to purchase/install gutter guards :p

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! It's a 72 Gallon Bow. I'm going to make it a reef tank.. or at least that's the plan. I'm still in shock that someone was throwing this tank away. I really wasn't prepared to start up a marine tank, but had to find the funds since I couldn't just let this tank sit. I'm really glad did make the plunge.

I was going to originally purchase the clear mesh that you can place across the top, but then noticed that light had an outer rim that could be utilized. After a few try's with cutting some plastic gutter guard, I realized that this would be perfect since I wouldn't end up blocking any light since it only actually connects from the front Rim to the front of the light. I left the sides open for now, hoping it will be safe.

Back