My new Thermometer!

smcnally

Tankless
This is kind of funny...My boss gave me this touch panel for doing some work at his house. It is a $2,000 (retail) touch panel that was broken. Well after I pulled it apart, I realized it was just the "touch" portion of the screen that was cracked. So I figured, that at least I still had 10 buttons on the sides that worked and pulled the touch screen off of the LCD. So now I have a kick a** display for my thermometer and any thing else I want on it. So far I have indicators that tell me when my fans are on, when the skimmer is full, the day's High and low temp, and if the sump is overflowing.
Temp.jpg

Oh, in case anybody was wondering what the "Feed" button is, I set it up so when I press it, it turns my skimmer off for 30 minutes.

Thanks guys. Yeah, what I do for work is program these systems and touch panels. Except, normally they are used for controlling audio/video systems, HVAC, and Alarm systems. I find it kind of funny that I'm using one just for my tank stats. If you add up the retial prices for what is needed it would be such a waste of money for what I'm using it for. But I got some for cost and some for free, so it wasn't bad. But, the processor retails for $1600, the touch panel at $2,000, and the temperature probe at $350. I did a lot of work for the processor, but the rest I got for little odds and ends. The cool thing about it all though, is it will all eventually control my AV gear and alarm system. I just haven't had the time to program it all. It is some of the most acurate equipment out there...Very cool stuff.

TBoisvert said:
...and the little touch panel TALKS too! I heard it tonite with my own ears!!!!

very VERY cool!
It does...it says things like "Metal Halide Activated" and "Power Compacts Off"...it's kinda neat, but I'm sure I'll take the voice off after awhile..

Slightly off topic, but I was looking at various thermometers at the local hardware store the other day - they're all made for either cooking, indoor/outdoor, or outdoor temp display, and I was worried about putting a probe in a tank that wasn't meant for either saltwater exposure (e.g. it'll quickly fall apart) and potentailly may harm the fish.

Is there an "obvious" way to repurpose one of these, or is the obvious thing to buy one of the "fish tank" versions of this stuff (which are about 2x the cost)?

Thanks,

- Michael

Michael,
I was using a standard, cheap Radioshack indoor/outdoor LCD themometer before with no ill effects. The probe was just a little white wire that had a sealed probe at the tip. It was in there for a couple of months and still seemed totally fine when I pulled it out.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back