my re-build thread

Joel A

Started over.
wanted to document it all in one spot, so i could get help by asking questions along the way, as well as maybe teach people a few things here and there about setting up a new system.

Background story- well my tank isn't/wasn't where i wanted it. Not enough light, inconsistent parameters, poor to moderate skimming, crappy sand bed, crappy coral colors and placement, etc. etc. You name it, it's probably wrong in my system at the moment.

So i've decided to take affirmative action, and basically strip down my system and start over again (in some ways at least).

Many of you know me from the meetings and from the forums, but i'm sure very few of you have actually seen my tank... and the chief reason for that is i'm a bit embarrassed by it. From everything that i know/learn i don't feel that it gives an accurate assessment of my time/knowledge/ money spent in the hobby... and on top of all that i have a POS camera, and even more POS photography skills.

So what's going to be happening? A lot actually.. here's some coming attractions:
New light- just ordered my new ATI sunpower fixture from Reefgeek. 6x54 watts, and a hell of a lot of light for my tank. Put me out a good bit in the pocket, but it's worth it in my opinion to take probably one of my biggest issues out of the equation. Currently i have a 2x175 MH set-up, with 14k bulbs that are 1year+ old.... and they are in poor reflectors as well.
changing out sandbed after i have the new light squared away, i'm going to be slowly siphoning out my sandbed until i have a BB tank... once the tank is BB i will then slowly add back new, better looking sand.
Modifications to my skimmer I have a reef octopus NW200 skimmer, that i am relatively happy with, but i need to make some more modifications. Currently, the skimmer is mesh modded, and recirc modded, but in the coming months i will be completing a long overdue gate valve mod, as well as probably switching out the standard octopus pump for a CoralVue Sicce 2500. Hopefully when it's all said and done i can supercharge this "poor mans skimmer" and get it to produce solid and consistent results for me.
Calcium reactor? Here's a big question mark for me at the moment. I have a "blueline aquatics" calcium reactor, (but it's identical to the Gen 1 MRC-CR1 reactor). Recently, the mag 2 recirc pump kicked the bucket on me... and i am a bit reluctant to replace it. I've got a few options here... i can replace the mag 2, switch it out for a better pump with output numbers that are relatively close, sell it and purchase a new CR all together, or sell it and purchase a serious dosing pump and go with a balling method.

This may be a topic of interest because i know a lot of people here do not use dosing pumps and two or three part solutions for seriously dominated SPS tanks, however... i have seen it done very successfully numerous times over on RC in both Europeans and American tanks. The main argument against it seems to be that after your tank is indeed dominated by SPS corals, you go through the solution so fast that it isn't worth it to try and keep up. This may be true for those of you with 300 gallon tanks, but with a 75 gallon tank, the demand for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium can only reach so high. I'm not worried about not being able to meet the demand of the corals with it, but instead i'm a bit worried about the money factor.

here is an example of a peristaltic dosing pump i am looking into.
http://cherrycorals.com/equipment/product.php?productid=839&cat=35&page=1

the upfront cost is high (that's only capable of dosing 2 liquids at that price) but the reliability is supposed to be very good, and it is upgradeable. There are other options on the market too...

a concern i have though is the cost to keep the solutions on hand and ready...

anways, that's something i'll be looking at in the coming months, i think the plan for the time being is to just replace the mag2 pump and then look into that down the road a piece.

Some other things on the agenda include:
-replacing return pump
-teeing the return line to feed calcium reactor
-possibly replacing main display tank (with RR starfire front and side pane tank)
-Adding larger, and properly baffled sump
-Adding fully automated Top off system
-Adding the Zeovit system.

So yeah... there is a lot on the radar, and i just wanted to jump start this thread, and give all of you who might be interested a taste of what is to come.

I hope to make this thread more interesting by adding pictures and descriptions of everything i will be doing instead of just having walls upon walls of text ....

I'll update again when i re-aquascape my tank, and put up my new lights (all next week).

-Joel

I debated the Dosing pump setup Vs CA Reactor. In the end I choose the CA reactor, it was a close call between the two but I made my decision based on not having to store and mix up two part, remembering to refill the dosing containers...ect. With the CA reactor I haven't done much adjusting since I set it up at the first of the year. If I would have went with the dosing pump there would have been more work with mixing and refilling the two part.

I also wouldn't under estimate the amount of two part a 75 gallon tank could consume. My little 20 high display tank and 20 long frag tank were using 100 ML of each part in the morning and another 100 ML of each part in the evening right before I made the switch.

Awesome score for a light!!!!!! I'd love to get the 6x24 watt ATI fixture to replace my 175 watt MH and two 24 watt actinics.

thanks for the input Barry.

But yeah, the constant mixing of two part solution is worrying me a bit... i mean even if i had it pulling out of 2 different one gallon jugs, it's still mixing more often than i used too... plus there's a potential issue long term of using the dow flake and mag flake and baking soda (well according to paranoid reefers on RC at least) that they contain other compounds that aren't desirable to a reef tank.. lots of people who dose only use the Fauna Marine salts... which in itself is a pain to keep replacing my quantities of those salts.

I'm going to grab a new recirc pump for my calcium reactor this week, i have an eheim 1250 lined up, which output wise is close to a mag2, so it should do the job for me and hopefully be a more reliable pump... i need to work on getting effluent efficiency problems worked out as well... i think with a solid regulator (reefanatic controlled by my RK2 controller) and a steady effluent, my CA/ALK issues should disappear... then i only have to worry about mag, which in my tank thus far it has been sufficient enough just to supplement mag by doing a water change every few weeks.

Hope you take a before picture. As someone who does alot of home remodeling work, you enjoy the end result more, when you show people what you started with.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do Joel. I'm forever worrying that I'm going to make a stupid mistake with my tank. Obviously I'm concerned about noob mistakes. But I'm also concerend that I won't get my scape right the first time or I'll make bad decisions in coral placement. Since I'm starting my first reef tank, I don't have the luxury of trial and error with previous tanks. So hopefully I'll gain some insight with your rebuild.

Step 1, Let there be light!

update:

THE LIGHT IS HERE, I REPEAT THE LIGHT IS HERE!!

ok, sorry for being obnoxious about it. But WOW this thing is legit. I finally feel like i have bought a big boy piece of reef tank equipment, and it feels really good.

And WOW does this thing put out a TON of light. with all 6 bulbs on, 12" off the surface it STILL blows my old 2x175 MH fixture away (in naked eye brightness comparison at least) It's going to gradually move down day by day over the course of the next few weeks until it's final resting spot at probably 3 or 4" off the surface of the water.

Right now the two "Blue Plus" bulbs are on and wow... i didn't know what i was missing with this style lighting. It makes everything glow in the tank, especially the orange/reds... my superman frag looks out of this world with the orange polyps. ON TOP of giving your corals unreal florescence, these bulbs are supposed to put out a TON of light, comparable to many other companies "10k" bulbs!

enough chatter though, here are some pictures of it all.

100_1219-1.jpg

100_1222.jpg

100_1223.jpg

100_1235-2.jpg

Almost forgot to say it...

But a BIG THANKS goes out to Greg Morgan at reefgeek for helping me order this light and working with me over the phone to get it here in a timely fashion =).

Great service, EXCELLENT packaging too... and of course the candy ;)

Ok, so i'm off from school all of next week (april vacation) so i'm going to set a few goals for myself and see if i can't meet them in all of my spare time.

Square away my CA reactor- this is goal number one... need to obtain a suitable recirc pump and get this thing back up and running again...

New sand/aquascaping - Not sure if this one is really going to happen but i'd at least like to start the adding of new sand and re-aquascaping the rock process... all starts with removing some rock, and removing some of the old sand.

Skimmer modifications last on the list... but i should be able to get it done no problem anyways... i'm going to do the gate valve mod (shoulda done it a while ago). I think instead of buying into the "euro pvc" crap, i'm going to try and sand the original coupler (i think?) down so i can use American PVC...

CHANGE YOUR SIG! :D

Looks awesome! Take your time adjusting the light and you'll be fine. Looking forward to the rest of this thread. I'm setting my 75 up after our trip next week.

light looks like a nice quality piece of equipment.

i'll be peeking in this thread occasionally, keep up the good work!

seems 75's are the local trend around here. lol

Great looking light... Glad to see you like those ATI Blue + bulbs... They look insane and put out a ton of PAR!!!

Thanks everyone. =)

Just thought i'd outline what i'm doing for proper light acclimation, and get some input on it/ maybe help out those of you who aren't sure how to do it.

First thing i did was raise the fixture even higher than the old Metal Halide fixture was. Normally, t5 light fixtures are placed very close to the surface, varying from sitting on the tank frame to about 4" off the surface, where as Metal Halides usually range from 6-10" off of the surface. The T5 fixture is currently sitting at about 9" off of the water surface, and the metal halide fixture used to sit about 6.5" off of the surface.

The next thing i did was shortened the intense photo period. I say the "intense photo period" because i did not shorten the overall photo period. The T5 fixture gives me the opportunity of only running two out of the four bulbs at a time, where as the metal halide fixture did not give me that option. My old MH fixture turned on at 1:00 and turned off at 9:15... i hated this schedule, as it was a pain to have no lights on the tank until 1:00, but it was also a pain to have them shut off at 7:00 at night, so i opted for the 1:00-9:15 schedule, meaning the MH bulbs were running 8 hours and 15 minutes.

The way my new T5 fixture is now set up is this:
2 Blue +'s on at 11:00, and off at 10:00
3 Aquablues, and the Actinic White on at 12:00, and off at 7:00. This means my "Intense photo period" has been shorted by a little over an hour.

A final thing to help me with proper light acclimation is the piece of white egg crate placed on the top of the aquarium. It helps keep a little bit of light out (and the fish in too) and will soon be replaced by a translucent garden mesh material that will be utilized by placing custom made screen frames over each section of the tank.

Each day, i plan to lower the light .25-.5" or so, until i get to 5". Once i get to 5" i'm going to lower it in even smaller intervals each day until i finally get to it's resting point at 4" or so.

After 1 weeks time, the "intense lighting period" will be increased 15 minutes each day, until it is at 8 or so hours.

Back