my re-build thread

ok, so just a quick little update here...

i just placed an order with bulkreefsupply.com . I've ordered from that site numerous times, and can't say how pleased i am with them. They carry a lot of bulk additives, RO/DI systems/accessories, and some equipment as well. All at competitive pricing... plus lots of the RO and bulk additives you can get from them can be hard to find elsewhere... especially all in one location.

I ordered a few things i needed for my RO unit, including a new flush kit, auto shut off kit, and replacement resin for my 2 DI canisters.

I'm also grabbing an eheim 1250 from another member here to run as my CA recirculation pump. Not the recommended recirculation pump, but i trust the build of an eheim far more than the recommended pump (mag-drive). Also, buying this higher quality pump used lightly is the same price of buying a replacement mag-2 pump... so all in all i'm happy with the purchase. It's slightly larger than the mag-2, so i may see if i can implement a ball valve to slow it down a tad bit.

so i need a little help with something....

i have this translucent garden mesh material that i'd like to utilize as a cover for my tank, and the most effective way to do this seems to be making something like a screen out of it.

The frame on a 75 gallon tank is separated down the middle by a center brace, and i'd like to have 2 independent screen frames made (wit the garden mesh on the inside of the frame) for each section of the tank. I'm thinking a hard plastic screen frame would work better than a metal one, but don't know if i have ever seen any plastic screen frames..

anyone have any idea how i would go about accomplishing this?

Joel,How will you,or do you plan to attach the screen to the frames?

i haven't the slightest idea. How is regular screen attached inside a frame? I was hoping there was some place i could bring the material, tell them i wanted it in a plastic screen frame, give them the measurements that i need... and then let them do the rest.. lol

i haven't the slightest idea. How is regular screen attached inside a frame? I was hoping there was some place i could bring the material, tell them i wanted it in a plastic screen frame, give them the measurements that i need... and then let them do the rest.. lol

Regular window screen is held in place by a rubber cording that's pressed into the frame with a special roller tool that's shaped kind of like a pizza cutter.Anybody that has dogs or cats has found out how that works.:p
The rubber cording might be ideal for holding your screen in.It helps to pull it taunt as you press it in groove in the frame.Then you just cut it off.If you could find someone that can cut out rust/rot proof material to make a frame and then a groove for the cording that would be excellent.

Regular window screen is held in place by a rubber cording that's pressed into the frame with a special roller tool that's shaped kind of like a pizza cutter.Anybody that has dogs or cats has found out how that works.:p
The rubber cording might be ideal for holding your screen in.It helps to pull it taunt as you press it in groove in the frame.Then you just cut it off.If you could find someone that can cut out rust/rot proof material to make a frame and then a groove for the cording that would be excellent.

yeah.. well that's what i want to do, i just don't know where or how i would go about doing such a thing :) .

I'd use 1x2 Aztec or Koma brand pvc boards. Rip an 1/8" groove in the middle for the rubber cording and they should last forever...

I was hoping there was some place i could bring the material, tell them i wanted it in a plastic screen frame, give them the measurements that i need... and then let them do the rest.. lol

Let me know when you find such a place. ;) Make sure to get plastic screen frame that doesn't warp under the heat of the lights too.

I'd use 1x2 Aztec or Koma brand pvc boards. Rip an 1/8" groove in the middle for the rubber cording and they should last forever...

That's a great idea. I suppose you could do the same thing with acrylic. But that probably wouldn't be cheap (thick acrylic). Where can you find 1x2" pvc board? Would you fasten the strips with small stainless screws?

I was thinking maybe any acrylic sheet.Doesn't really have to be clear,like something 1/2-5/8 thick from McMaster-Carr.Could drill 1/4 in. holes at the corners and use acrylic rounds for dowels to hold it along with weldon.Then just rip a groove for the spline around the parameter and you're all set.

Hey Joel, just read your thread. Your light is AWESOME!!!! I didn't even know things that cool existed in aquaria....really, really, cool!!!

Hey, if I can help with the screen issue. let me know. I might have a few tricks for ya'. Before screen were made with metal frames they were made with wood. There are several options that would hold up very well in a marine environment ( don't forget they still trim, and even make boats out of wood ;-) I happen to have a brand new router I am wanting to try out. If wood scares you, you could also try fypon or PVC trim boards. they come in most standard 1X sizes ( even 5/4 sizes and up). They can be cut, ripped, routed, even painted ( ala krylon fusion, if it's outside the tank). After you decide the material, just pick the spline size and it's a pretty quick build. I have splining tools, and even some spline if you want. Also, check out Home Depot for a product ( can't remember the name, but it's right there where you get the screen) that is a plastic track, pre-made, ready to cut. It is for screwing over, say, an existing porch frame so you can turn it into a screened in porch. I have used it in the past, It's a little pricey for a porch, shouldn't be to much for the tank top.

Let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Kevin

Any good lumber yard should sell the pvc trim boards. You could fasten it with nylon screws or buy the 2 part adhesive they sell. I used silicone when i built my overflow with it. Or just use ss screws and cover them with caulking.

For screen frames, I would consider using.... screen frames! :)
I re make these all the time (Property maint. business). Home Depot - sells Al. frame material w/ plastic corner inserts, and the groove for rubber locking bead. They're 1/2" x 1/4" and should fit in the recessed part of the tank top frame if cut to size correctly. they're inexpensive, come in white, and you could paint them (Krylon) if you want.
I like the idea of screens - what is mesh size you are using? Be nice to find 1/2" mesh if I'm assuming it's used to keep jumpers in the tank. Too small mesh (like bug screen) might block some light...
Frame like this stuff:
http://www.acehardware.com/largeIma...et/graphics/product_images/pACE-1145618dt.jpg

Last edited:
Back